Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Technocratic movement

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Inquisitor Posted: Mon, Nov 12 2007 9:55 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy_movement

Any thoughts on this? Especially on their views on economic vs 'physical' scarcity.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 480
Points 9,370

The whole thing is intriguingly naive.  Some of the observations seem accurate but they fail to recognize that the State happens to be the cause of several of the problems.  Therefore, the Technocrats offer a State solution subject to the same forms of abuse! 

Take their observation of increased debt.   Here is the solution:  

wikiPedia:
  The amount of energy given to each citizen would be calculated by determining the total productive capacity of the technate and dividing it equally. The Energy units or certificates, themselves would probably not have to be physically used by the populace, as the system would be computerised. In energy accounting the Technate would use information of natural resources, industrial capacity and citizen’s purchasing habits to determine how much of any good or service was being consumed by the populace, so that it could match production with consumption.
I guess that solves the problem of inflation or counterfeiting the currency!  

Before calling yourself a libertarian or an anarchist, read this.  
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Inquisitor replied on Mon, Nov 12 2007 12:20 PM
I didn't get too far past their ramblings on unemployment, which have been utterly refuted already. The bit of the page devoted to scarcity is particularly misleading. They seem to think an economy based on scarcity is somehow deficient... that seems utterly ignorant.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 740
Brett_McS replied on Tue, Nov 20 2007 6:22 AM

Another all time favourite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_credit

"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS