Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Quote by Keynes and practical theory

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 590
Zgoalie18 Posted: Mon, Jul 7 2008 11:46 PM

I was just reading "Economics for Real People" by Gene Callahan online at mises.org and I came accross this tidbit that I couldnt quite get:

Some people feel that these questions should be answered on a “practical,” case-by-case basis. They claim to disdain the use of theory in resolving them. The English economist John Maynard Keynes saw the error in such thinking: The ideas of economists and political philosophers, both when they are right and when they are wrong, are more powerful than is commonly understood. Indeed, the world is ruled by little else. Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually slaves of some defunct economist. (The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money)

call me dense but I didn't quite get what keynes was saying when he said that people whoe don't use theories are "slaves of some defunct economist"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 353
Points 5,400
nhaag replied on Tue, Jul 8 2008 8:04 AM

As I see it, he means economists and political philosophers - who is not a "political" philosopher is not clear to meSmile ) have a pretty good leverage when it comes to push states toward their ideas (right and wrong), and that those that do not buy his theory, being people that do not like to be influenced by intellectuals, are slaves of those economits that where before him and therefor all dead wrong  Big Smile

In the begining there was nothing, and it exploded.

Terry Pratchett (on the big bang theory)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

People tend to have ideas of how the world works, and these ideas tend to issue from the mind of some intellectual or other. Some of these ideas are so common that their origin becomes imperceptible, but they are there nonetheless. Keynes probably means most people are thus under the sway of some intellectual or other, without even knowing it.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 113
Points 2,020
Remnant replied on Tue, Jul 8 2008 12:33 PM

Jon Irenicus:
Keynes probably means most people are thus under the sway of some intellectual or other, without even knowing it.

Unfortunately, Keynes was amazingly accurate with his statement.  Today, most people are under the sway of Keynesianism without knowing it.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS