Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Just say NO to totalitarianism, Don't drive 55!!!!!

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart Posted: Mon, Jul 7 2008 9:08 AM

You can see here that we are back in "That 70s Energy Policy" with Barak wanting "Windfall Profits Taxes" and now Warner wanting to force people with loss of property and later violence into driving slower than they or their states want them to:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/03/warner.speed.limit.ap/index.html

Setting aside the fact that this is completely un-Constitutional because the Constitution has been watered down with the "Living Document" philosophy.

This policy has negavtive economic and environment consequences.  The most obvious is that when peopel are constrained by government they are worse off and therefore damage more of the environment.  Also people optimize the fuel economy of their vehicles against their driving preferences.  So if they go slower the government will create the consequence of having folks buy larger vehicles.

Please comment.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800

The federal speed limit is unconstitutional and should be left to the state, ultimately the individual.  IMHO, individuals should drive at a speed and tempo which is safe.  Sometimes faster is safer, sometimes slower is safer.  Taking that into consideration, if driving a little slower, but still at a safe speed, saves you a buck or too at the pump via better gas mileage, I am all for VOLUNTARILY slowing down.  

I would conjecture that the upper limit for fuel efficiency with respect to time is 70-75 mph, any faster you sacrifice MPG, any slower you sacrifice time.  Ultimately, it is up to the individual to figure out what time and fuel ratio works best for them.  I know for me, I have slowed down significantly than my typical driving, and have realized a some fuel savings.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 849
Points 18,905

Nah, I say go ahead and drive 55, for the same reason I say to be sure to fill your parking meter (or someone else's if there are no cops around), use your blinker and come to a complete stop. Governments, especially municipalities, make a lot of money when people get speeding or parking tickets. Obedience to the law in these cases, so easily caught and prosecuted, is a good idea. Express your defiance in more meaningful ways that don't result in cash cows for the state. Learning a little patience never hurt anyone anyway.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS