Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Improving Government Operations (when faced with the option)

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
753 Posts
Points 18,750
Jeremiah Dyke posted on Fri, Jan 7 2011 4:13 PM

Improving Government Operations

I would abolish the gov with the snap of my finger if ever offered the chance, so I’m not trying to discuss the merits of some vs no government. What I would like an opinion on is when faced with options of efficiency.

Lets say that a huge Navy destroyer could reduce its fuel consumption by half with a small investment, would libertarians advice such an investment? I would assume that any savings on fuel could be translated into more killing devices when dealing with the military and thus why it may not be advisable, but what if we were dealing with postal carrier’s who could save on fuel? Again, would such a strategy be advisable? I would think that such a savings would at least translate into some, be it slightly, better service for the post office. But, then again, maybe any savings would then be turned in to new ways to exploit us. Thoughts?   

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,209 Posts
Points 35,645

Can't say. No market, no calculation, no idea. Go with your guts.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
178 Posts
Points 2,260
I'd have to say I support fuel-conserving measures, since they leave more for the market.
Top 75 Contributor
1,434 Posts
Points 29,210

I'd say yes, make the improvement, but only if it lowers the tax rate (since we wouldn't have to pay for that extra fuel). If the tax rate stays the same, then the same amount of money is being stolen from the private sector while the government can brag about its newly-discovered efficiency in the public eye.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
853 Posts
Points 17,830

This question reminds me of what Milton Friedman said right at the end of The Incredible Bread Machine Film.

"You have enormous restrictions on politicial and economic freedom today.  The only reason they're not more extreme is because of the one saving grace: and that is, the inefficiency of government.  Thank god that government wastes most of the money it spends!  Because if it were really spending it efficiently, we wouldn't have an iota of our freedom left!"

Top 500 Contributor
Male
247 Posts
Points 4,415

The government would probably see the money saved as "freed up" money to use elsewhere. Unless it's part of the initial agreement to lower taxes if this is done whatever they save for the private market in fuel savings they will consume back out of the private market elsewhere in some other form of spending.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

The level of state spending depends on how much it can get away with.  Nothng else.

Not Ranked
50 Posts
Points 635

It would depend on a lot of factors. The first being what you could reasonably expect the saved money to go to. If its to something heinous or stupid there's no point in bothering. If you might get a temporary tax decrease (not likely) or a diversion of the funds into something that has somewhat more of a useful value (delivering junk mail vs half assed medical care) then its more of a judgement call. There is also the matter of if your work would be considered a sanction of the behavior. There is a difference between being a card carrying member of the party and helping the plantation be more efficient so the slave master doesn't throttle you as much and feeds you more.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS