Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Book Suggestion For Graduate School Economics

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750
Jeremiah Dyke Posted: Sat, Jan 15 2011 9:02 AM

I took one graduate level Macro economics class at GMU before venturing on to math and education. The math in economics is pretty brutal, even for those that are good at math. It’s different than a math class, a lot of optimization and a small amount of calculus/algebra that you use over and over again but must figure out when to apply it. My calc textbook wasn’t useful for this; it was Schaum's Outline Introduction to Mathematical Economics and a good calculator that will get you through the class (here).  They also offer one for econometrics but it's not as useful IMO

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370
abskebabs replied on Sat, Jan 15 2011 2:59 PM

I haven't actually found the maths in economics to be too hard so far(it's definitely a step down from undergrad physics, in fact I think I'm worse at maths now than before I finished my degree), though to be fair I'm not quite at the graduate level. If you have a mathematical background, Chiang is not a bad place to start I've heard. From glancing at it myself, I do like its structure. Also, for graduate micro there's Varian's Microeconomic Analysis, and the macro text for my current course is Williamson's Macroeconomics.

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS