Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

dont understand todays post

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
58 Posts
Points 1,380
caulds989 posted on Tue, Jan 25 2011 12:47 PM

usually I pretty well comprehend the ideas on the mises daily's but I did not totally understand the point of the writer of this particular piece

http://mises.org/daily/4961

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
659 Posts
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 12:56 PM

What did you not understand?

Maybe you should ask Cristian Gherasim (gherasim_crstn@yahoo.com) your question.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 3,195

I'm also not clear what it was you didn't understand, but perhaps it was his critique of the concept of the middle class?

In short, most any libertarian will tell you that the popular idea of societal classes is spurious, and almost definitely a vestige of the marxian attempt to frame all of humanity as being a part of one of two warring groups - the bourgeois and the proletariat. Though most Americans would tend to disagree that these are genuine classes, somehow people fully accept that there is such a thing as a "middle class." But why?

I think the purpose of the article was simply to undercut lazy thinking, and to reinforce the truth that the proper unit with which to analyze human beings is the individual, and to the extent that an individual may belong to a group (a class, if you must), it is something he chooses, not something he is unwittingly born into, furnished with a mental structure and bound by fate to follow some set path. Total garbage.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS