Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Israeli central bank buys dollars

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
850 Posts
Points 27,940
Eugene posted on Wed, Feb 9 2011 12:46 AM

Hi. I'm trying to understand the devious ways of the Israeli central bank. I posted this question on another forum already, but there are only few libertarians there, so I'd appreciate if you could reply to this thread either there or here. There are a lot of economically savvy people here, so I'd appreciate a lot your help.

http://www.politicsforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=127982&p=13623482#p13623482

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,209 Posts
Points 35,645

Holly s#*t, 70 billions! The US is just begging the dominions to pro u the dollar artificially at this point.

And Israel is in a far shakier financial position than the US, and the sheer massiveness of the sum makes one believe that Israel itself has given up all hopes of surviving fiscally and is just “yeah, why the hell cares anyway”. Ironically the threat of a devaluation, probably much, much milder than this, was all the US had to bark out at Israel, France and the UK in the ‘50s to make them back from their invasion of Suez. You see, it was a military threat back than. Times change…

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
28 Posts
Points 480

"Israel's foreign currency reserves at the Bank of Israel had climbed to roughly $70 billion. Last year it bought $10 billion worth of foreign currency"

That's a total of about $10,000 per Israeli resident.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS