Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

I hate bono!!!!!!!

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 396
Points 6,715
Drew Posted: Thu, Feb 24 2011 2:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-oYCIJrewA

Is this guy dumb or what?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 2:13 PM

At least he says 'they want to trade'. But yeah, he's clueless. Pop singers are not economists.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 57
Points 1,050
Sonik replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 2:15 PM

Whole thing seemed like one big press op.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 396
Points 6,715
Drew replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 2:16 PM

Doesn't he ever wonder why most of the leaders in those countries are incredibly rich ?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 198
Points 3,100
jay replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 4:07 PM

Bono irritates me, but what irritates me more is how he's duped a lot of western evangelical Christians into bad economic thinking -- all because U2's music is mostly Jesus-friendly (if you ignore Bono's crotch grabbing and a random "fuck" here and there).

He has it 100% backwards - western affluence by itself doesn't cause African poverty, it's because our "charity" is ending up in the coffers of their awful dictatorships.

"The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -C.S. Lewis
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 396
Points 6,715
Drew replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 4:11 PM

He has a hard time understanding that. It's amazing how someone like him tends to moralize everyone.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 6:12 PM

A lot of folks care more about trying to do good than actually doing good, even if trying makes the situation worse. Because at least your heart was in the right place, or so the thinking goes.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

CrazyCoot:

A lot of folks care more about trying to do good than actually doing good, even if trying makes the situation worse. Because at least your heart was in the right place, or so the thinking goes.

And 'their heart' isn't even in the 'right place', they're just busy bodies trying to get status by engaging in mindless social signaling without considering or caring about whether what they do actually helps or makes any sense. Even the ones who aren't statist a-holes like Bono don't think twice before giving money to the Red Cross, an organizaiton so politically correct they gave people AIDS rather than check homosexuals and prisoners for the virus.
I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of dead will outnumber the living.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 198
Points 3,100
jay replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 7:25 PM

You have to wonder, though, at the immense social pressure celebrities and rich people live under to "give back" to the world (as if they literally owe anonymous less-wealthy people simply because they don't have as much). For once I'd like to hear of someone breaking from the pack but that is PR suicide.

"The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -C.S. Lewis
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 396
Points 6,715
Drew replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 8:14 PM

And 'their heart' isn't even in the 'right place', they're just busy bodies trying to get status by engaging in mindless social signaling without considering or caring about whether what they do actually helps or makes any sense. Even the ones who aren't statist a-holes like Bono don't think twice before giving money to the Red Cross, an organizaiton so politically correct they gave people AIDS rather than check homosexuals and prisoners for the virus.

He probably is sincere, he believes his own lies. 

I loved how Bono says "Noam chomsky is a rebel with a cause", ORLY LOL, ROCK ON NOAM CHOMSKY AND HIS ANARCHO-SYNDICALISM CRAP!!!

Also those vids are hilarious.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS