Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Obama: ‘Google, Facebook Would Not Exist’ Without Government Funding

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 395
SortOfAmish Posted: Mon, Apr 16 2012 5:31 PM

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-google-facebook-would-not-exist-without-government-funding

Can't you argue that without the free market, Google and Facebook would not exist?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

I'm assuming he means that indirectly, as in, without government funding during the Cold War (and Al Gore), the Internet never would have existed? Or was he just throwing Google and Facebook out there because he knows those are companies people like?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 6:17 PM

I have no idea if his claim is valid.  Facebook is trash though so I don't see why he's bragging about Facebook, Google I understand.

I like this part: "Obama added that under the Republican budget, “the government is shrunk to the point where things that we take for granted as a society -- as an advanced, responsible society -- are gutted: education, science and research, early childhood education, caring for our environment, looking after our veterans, keeping up with our infrastructure, rebuilding our roads and our bridges so that they’re safe, food safety laws, our capacity to enforce basic consumer protections. All of this is shrunk to the point of near invisibility."

K.  Well can we actually afford this stuff?  Do we actually take care of our veterans?  Is our education system even worth a damn?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

@John James Thanks dude, I was just about to ask that question. :)

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

bloomj31:
I like this part: "Obama added that under the Republican budget, “the government is shrunk to the point where things that we take for granted as a society -- as an advanced, responsible society -- are gutted: education, science and research, early childhood education, caring for our environment, looking after our veterans, keeping up with our infrastructure, rebuilding our roads and our bridges so that they’re safe, food safety laws, our capacity to enforce basic consumer protections. All of this is shrunk to the point of near invisibility."

Because when the Republicans last had a majority in the legislative branch, we didn't have those things.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 6:38 PM

He's saying that Ryan's budget would get rid of that stuff.

I haven't read it though so I have no idea if he's right.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 8:48 PM

As if these things can only be provided publicly?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

bloomj31:
Facebook is trash though so I don't see why he's bragging about Facebook

Maybe $3.71 billion in revenue last year (up from $1.97b in 2010), and 845 million users, a majority of which log in at least once every single day, has a little something to do with it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 8:36 AM

No stalkbook is still bad.  Doesn't impress me much.

He should've just said Google.  If he could prove that Google wouldn't exist without government funding I'd be impressed.  Now I want to vote against him just so there won't be more stalkbooks and/or bad Jesse Eisenberg films.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:42 AM

bloomj31:

No stalkbook is still bad.  Doesn't impress me much.

He should've just said Google.  If he could prove that Google wouldn't exist without government funding I'd be impressed.  Now I want to vote against him just so there won't be more stalkbooks and/or bad Jesse Eisenberg films.

I didn't realize that Obama was trying to impress you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:51 AM

Well not me in particular.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he's resigned to losing states like GA.  He's politicking though.  He's saying: "Come on guys, vote for us.  We gave you Facebook, we gave you Google.  We make sure your public schools keep running and veterans get taken care of.  We make sure that science and research gets government funding."

He's saying that the mean old Republicans are trying to take that stuff away.  Those meanies.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:02 PM

bloomj31:
Well not me in particular.

Right.  He's trying to appeal to everyone else.  People who believe politicians.  People who believe the news.  People who...check Facebook at 3 times a day.  Which is why you shouldn't be confused as to why he's bragging about it.

Obama doesn't give a shit about you.  He's interested in the hundreds of millions of people who obviously don't think Facebook is "trash"...so I don't know why you're (allegedly) so clueless as to why he would be "bragging" about it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:06 PM

Oh I get what he's saying.  It's just funny to me that some people would be like "I wouldn't have FB without the government??!!"

I recommend growing a sense of humor.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:12 PM

Making it a point to say that didn't know why he was bragging about facebook was supposed to be a joke?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:20 PM

Don't troll me bro.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:25 PM

I'm not.  Or is that another joke?  Like you're making fun of "don't tase me bro"?  I honestly don't know.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:26 PM

Yeah man they were jokes.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

bloomj31:
He's saying that Ryan's budget would get rid of that stuff.

I mean it in good fun. cheeky

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS