Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Mises Unversity 2011

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 347
Points 6,365
BlackNumero Posted: Tue, Mar 8 2011 5:49 PM

After sorting some summer plans out, I'm thinking about attending Mises Unversity this year. Upon looking at the signup sheet, I did not realize that it was on a scholarship basis, nor did I know that you had to get a letter of recommendation. I've been to another event hosted by Mises (Austran conference in NYC) and had the option of paying or signing up for a scholarship. If I don't get in, is there another way to attend or just try again next year? As a college sophomore (20 yo), how hard are my chances in getting in? My GPA is good (3.8) and I've read my fair share of Austrian works (at least I think). Is it best to go as soon as you can, or wait until later (junior/senior/grad school)? Any recommendations on where to get the letter from (I'm not sure my economics teachers would be too thrilled haha).

On another note, how is the event? Seems like my dream of just going to economic conferences all day with Austrian speakers. I know that there is student feedback on the site, I just want to know I can get additional information to (suggestions/criticisms/praises, etc).

As always, thank you for the replies.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370

From my discussions with you on this forum, I'd say you're probably overqualified for Mises U! ;)

But I would still definitely recommend going, if not especially for the social opportunity to meet all kinds of different Austrolibertarians and make a lot of friends, to have what should be an awesomely fun, I'll even use the word - magical, life changing week. Even if you consider yourself pretty up to scratch with Austrian Econ, it is nice to study it and related subjects in a focused, classroom setting. I was 21 when I went, so I don't think that should matter.

For recommendations, I'm not sure, I was doing physics at the time so I don't think you're situation compares(though I recently got one of my current economics professors to recommend me for an Austrian course, so I can't say I've suffered from any personal animosity myself). If you send a good writing sample (I sent a rather amtaeurish newspaper article/rant I wrote introducing readers to the ABCT), which I'm sure you've been capable of, you shouldn't have any problems. I'd just recommend you send your application ASAP.

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

They will work with you as long as you apply early. I believe the key is the "why you want to attend essay". You kick ass man! You should def get in.  It's possible that someone here like Danny (Grayson) would write you a letter or rec, but of course i can't speak for him. Hell, i'm no one, but i'll write you a letter of rec if you really need one. Apply!

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 347
Points 6,365

From my discussions with you on this forum, I'd say you're probably overqualified for Mises U! ;)

But I would still definitely recommend going, if not especially for the social opportunity to meet all kinds of different Austrolibertarians and make a lot of friends, to have what should be an awesomely fun, I'll even use the word - magical, life changing week. Even if you consider yourself pretty up to scratch with Austrian Econ, it is nice to study it and related subjects in a focused, classroom setting. I was 21 when I went, so I don't think that should matter.

For recommendations, I'm not sure, I was doing physics at the time so I don't think you're situation compares(though I recently got one of my current economics professors to recommend me for an Austrian course, so I can't say I've suffered from any personal animosity myself). If you send a good writing sample (I sent a rather amtaeurish newspaper article/rant I wrote introducing readers to the ABCT), which I'm sure you've been capable of, you shouldn't have any problems. I'd just recommend you send your application ASAP.

Why thank you, I'm flattered :D.

You mentioned a writing sample, do we have to write one, or was that just to look good? Or does that take in place of the academic letter? Thanks for your reply.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

I did not have to have one for my application... i just needed my transcript, school id, complete application and letter of recommendation

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 881
Points 15,030
banned replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 10:53 PM

Is there any specific major requirement? I suppose economics majors are preferred for admittance, but I dont know.

Also if anyone knows, what time frame would this be likely happen in (if they haven't already put out the information)? I'd go, but I'm trying to intern in a laboratory over the summer, so I don't know if I'll have time.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

They do not just accept Economics majors, but when applying, they say that it is preferred to be an Econ student. so I assume the applications from Econ students are looked at first then they look at the other applications.

EDIT: it is also from July 24-30

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 881
Points 15,030
banned replied on Wed, Mar 9 2011 1:50 AM

That's what I figured. And I'd guess they would give related majors similar preference, like history, or political science, etc. No love for us lowly computer engineers :(

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

@banned

Well, you never know until you try. In my opinion, it would be better to apply. Atleast you have a chance in getting accepted. If you do not apply, you have no chance at all.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370

Why thank you, I'm flattered :D.

You mentioned a writing sample, do we have to write one, or was that just to look good? Or does that take in place of the academic letter? Thanks for your reply.

No problem. I would send a writing sample if I were you, but I guess this reflects how my general attitude towards applications is to take all the opportunities I can to differentiate myself and fill in blanks wherever I can.

Also, I would say people not studying economics should not at all be discouraged. I certainly had no formal training in economics myself and I think something like 30-40% of the students were not economics majors( about the same proportion was the number of students from outside the US).

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS