Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Gordon Brown on why he bailed out his friends

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff Posted: Sun, Mar 20 2011 8:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMDFkQpGqPM#27m45s

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Gordon Brown's book is full of irony.

That man is totally self unaware.

In one part, he writes approvingly about how people are completely silent during his speeches. In another part, he thinks he is being complemented by a Scandinavian minister and friend, when his friend tells him that he makes the exact speeches over and over again.

Reading his book, you should try counting the number of times the word "I" is used. That man is extraordinarily self-obsessed.

Most impressive is that he sees himself as a serious, technocratic, academically brilliant, prime minister. Which is probably true. He is quite pleased that he is an Economics Prime Minister, and prides himself in his superior knowledge of it. Obviously, his more emotionally instinctive colleague Tony Blair is not his kind of person, but likewise, Blair wasn't very impressed with Brown's emotionless number-cruncing and lack of intuition and instinct. Which is also probably true.

While it probably wasn't his fault, Brown as an academic, economics-loving prime minister must have been annoyed that he went away with the reputation of the prime minister presiding over Britain's worst economic period.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Daniel, you need to respond to generous commenters on your own threads.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Prateek Sanjay:

Daniel, you need to respond to generous commenters on your own threads.

What in your response did you want me to respond to? Anyway, from the video, Gordon Brown actually believes he saved world, or at least the world's financial statement. Of course, he'll be proven wrong once the SHTF.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS