Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Private security in South Africa

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,965
the5thresistance Posted: Wed, May 9 2012 4:43 AM

not the greatest example of private policing but it at least it is achieveable 

http://www.iss.co.za/pubs/monographs/no39/SAPrivSecIndustry.html

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 225
Points 4,195

Watch these this series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGOPVhQ5rhs

'' The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.'' Stephen Hawking

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 76
Points 1,215

I live in Joburg.  Obviously Louis Theroux knows how to make good TV, by shooting these things in the absolute worst neighbourhoods imaginable.  I'm not saying it isn't authentic, but it's not exactly representative of the situation in its entirety either.

Mapogo is a small and very dodgy company with its headquarters in Diepsloot, while those guys in the city in that documentary are nothing more than hired muscle.

The biggest private security firm in South Africa is ADT Security, which is the biggest firm of its kind in the world.

www.adt.com - www.adt.co.za

Another big one is Chubb.

www.chubb.co.za

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." - Sir Humphrey Appleby
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

That is a very interesting documentary.  I like how he asks challenging questions and captures their perspective.  Most journalists would probably splice the footage and smear them with overdub commentary.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 225
Points 4,195

Yeah you got to love Louis Therroux. He makes the best documentaries on tv.

'' The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.'' Stephen Hawking

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS