Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Would You Wear an Outside Holster (like the police wear)?

This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Thu, Apr 14 2011 1:51 PM

If you were allowed, would you wear your handgun on a holster that does not have to be concealed?  Outside, not tucked inside your shirt (like the ones police officers wear)?

smartass: we'll never be allowed so it doesn't matter....

a: I'm not discussing the laws...I just want to know if you would if you were allowed.

Second question, do you think these hidden inside holsters would have been so popular if laws had not been in place to prevent people from using the common sense regular outside holster?

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 233
Points 4,125
Metus replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 2:02 PM

Concealed carriage is more useful in a community since a criminal can not know who has a gun and who has not. If open carriage is the norm, criminals immediately know who has a gun and who not. In that sense concealed gun carriage is a public good, open carriage a private one.

Honeste vivere, nemimen laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

I have one that is hidden... I like it because it feels less bulky compared to the outside holsters

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 69
Points 1,050
J.R.M. replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 2:53 PM

limitgov:

If you were allowed, would you wear your handgun on a holster that does not have to be concealed?  Outside, not tucked inside your shirt (like the ones police officers wear)?

smartass: we'll never be allowed so it doesn't matter....

a: I'm not discussing the laws...I just want to know if you would if you were allowed.

Second question, do you think these hidden inside holsters would have been so popular if laws had not been in place to prevent people from using the common sense regular outside holster?

In response to your second question,  the law has actually always been sttricter for concealed carry than for open carry.  In a lot of states you can carry open with no permit, whereas you need a permit to carry a concealed weapon in almost all states.

I think people prefer to carry concealed for many purposes: not making people uncomfortable, criminals not knowing who's carrying, etc.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 2:56 PM

Another advantage of concealed seems that a criminal doesn't know who to 'take out' if he really wants to harm some people (or steal their stuff).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 3:15 PM

"Another advantage of concealed seems that a criminal doesn't know who to 'take out' if he really wants to harm some people (or steal their stuff)."

I've heard that one before. 

"anyone with a gun showing would be killed"....

so police would be killed?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 3:17 PM

"In response to your second question,  the law has actually always been sttricter for concealed carry than for open carry. "

I like opencarry.org's motto.....

A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost".

I'm pretty sure, in Texas, if I open carry I'll get my ass a ticket.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 69
Points 1,050
J.R.M. replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 3:21 PM

What's really ridiculous is that here, in California, you can "open carry" without a permit, but the weapon cannot be loaded, rendering it useless for self defense.  Not to mention, now criminals know you have a weapon they can steal and it is not loaded!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 69
Points 1,050
J.R.M. replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 3:23 PM

limitgov:

I'm pretty sure, in Texas, if I open carry I'll get my ass a ticket.

It's true.  a lot of law enforcement officers are completely clueless about the law regarding open carry.  There are countless cases of people being arrested for doing something that is completely within their rights to do.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 229
Points 3,055
ricarpe replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:37 PM

First question:

Virginia is an open carry state, although some areas have rules forbidding it.  I'm in a rural area, so I open carry without much problem and without much fanfare.  There's plenty of folks around here who do the same thing.  Some have regular holsters.  There's a few guys who I know who are more zealous 2nd Amendment types who wear tactical holsters at mid-thigh, which can be a little over the top.

Personally, I open carry when I'm local.  If I'm going in town or traveling, though, I carry concealed.  And yes, I do have my CCW as issued by the county sheriff.  In both cases I use the same holster.

Second question:

The laws have some affect on concealed carry, but from my experience it's more about how concealed you want to be and what level of comfort you're looking for with carrying.  Some pistols are easier to carry concealed in hidden holsters -- like a .32 or .38 semi-auto or a small frame revolver.  Others are a little bulky and difficult to conceal -- such as my pistol: a Springfield Armory XD subcompact.

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." -James Madison

"If government were efficient, it would cease to exist."

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 173
Points 3,810
Brutus replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:49 PM

According to a show I saw on The History Channel, holsters have adapted over the years to include concealed ones for poker games, whereby a cheat would feel more relaxed without seeing the gun yet would get just as bad a punishment. Also, they were built to, of course, conceal weapons in towns that outlawed guns by commoners.

If it were legal, yes, I would wear my gun in an unconcealed holster. I would likely not have a safety strap on it in case I needed it for quick firing. I wouldn't do it to be a bad ass by any means, but I would certainly feel more comfortable with it on me throughout the day.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" -Patrick Henry

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,445
Phaedros replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 10:10 PM

There's no way people can walk around with guns on a holster without a permit, you can't even carry a blade more than four inches long around.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 222
Points 2,995
Valject replied on Fri, Apr 15 2011 1:38 AM

Sometimes...just for fun...I walk around wearing an empty holster in plain view.  It's REALLY disconcerting to a lot of folk.  In fact, I think the people that are paranoid about guns are more frightened of the fact that there isn't one where there ought be.  Good for getting breathing room on a bus.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, Apr 15 2011 8:53 AM

"Sometimes...just for fun...I walk around wearing an empty holster in plain view.  It's REALLY disconcerting to a lot of folk.  In fact, I think the people that are paranoid about guns are more frightened of the fact that there isn't one where there ought be.  Good for getting breathing room on a bus."

That is a good idea.  I think I might do that.  Then, if government ever shuts down, I'll have a normal human holster that goes on the outside (thats ready to be used), instead of a stupid, ridiculous, uncomfortable bulky holster that has to be stuck inside my clothes.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS