Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What would happen if... in an ancap society?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 100
Points 2,375
jaredsmith Posted: Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:44 AM

If an armed person breaks into and steals from a closed store and is on foot and I witness it what can I do as far as calling (some police force) to stop the thief?

My real question is: Would/ Could there be a universal number I could call in case this happend? Would I just have to wait until the next opening to inform the owner of all I know?

My purpose in asking this is if someone was questioning me about the reality of "chaos" in this type of society, I would hopefully have a good answer.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

There is no universal answer to  your question. Certainly, there could be a phone number you could call or, perhaps, an email address, BlackBerry pin, AOL IM username, Skype account, etc. that you could message to report the crime. I think it is impossible to know exactly what the future or what certain society would be like since it is impossible to have all knowledge.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 990
mouser98 replied on Sat, Jan 9 2010 12:02 PM

if it were a profitable business to provide such a service, then likely it would be provided.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

In the future, let's please post ancap hypotheticals in Political Theory.  Thanks.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 752
Points 16,735
Sage replied on Sat, Jan 9 2010 12:32 PM

You might be interested in reading this: Chaos Theory by Bob Murphy.

AnalyticalAnarchism.net - The Positive Political Economy of Anarchism

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Sat, Jan 9 2010 12:59 PM

jaredsmith:

If an armed person breaks into and steals from a closed store and is on foot and I witness it what can I do as far as calling (some police force) to stop the thief?

My real question is: Would/ Could there be a universal number I could call in case this happend? Would I just have to wait until the next opening to inform the owner of all I know?

My purpose in asking this is if someone was questioning me about the reality of "chaos" in this type of society, I would hopefully have a good answer.

I don't see why not.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS