Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Super Speed Way

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 170
Points 2,290
Bearchu. Posted: Tue, May 10 2011 2:51 PM

So I have been thinking about this for a while.  Its an alternate highway system that runs parallel to most highways that exist now.  The only difference is that this is an expensive speed way that allows very high speeds.  This would function similar to fastrak in california. where you could be charged per use, or a monthly fee.  This way it would be possible for people who commute to work and who are willing to pay alot of money to get to the city/work place a lot faster.  Ofcourse separate insurance, and regs would be set up.  There are people who's hours are more valuable in the office than in traffic (everyone).  And some of those people it would be cost effective to pay say 200 a month to reduce an overall commute from 2 hours to 30 min.

What do you guys think?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 867
Points 17,790
Sphairon replied on Tue, May 10 2011 3:08 PM

It's a great idea. Personally, I'm a bit confused why the public highway system doesn't allow for higher speeds than 60-75 mph. When I drive on the Autobahn, I regularly have cars passing me on my left with 120-150 mph, and Germany still has way fewer traffic accidents than the US.

And of course, if it's a private road, you can be sure that road conditions would be excellent and lots of mechanisms would be set up to minimize the damage caused by the inevitable accident. Let's do it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 170
Points 2,290
Bearchu. replied on Tue, May 10 2011 3:18 PM

"Personally, I'm a bit confused why the public highway system doesn't allow for higher speeds than 60-75 mph. When I drive on the Autobahn, I regularly have cars passing me on my left with 120-150 mph, and Germany still has way fewer traffic accidents than the US."

Same here, it doesnt make sense, especially if people are willing to pay to speed, but dont want a ticket.  Mexico probably has fewer car accidents than the US, even as a percentage of cars driven, have you seen how people drive there....

"And of course, if it's a private road, you can be sure that road conditions would be excellent and lots of mechanisms would be set up to minimize the damage caused by the inevitable accident. Let's do it!"

For certain, you better believe the owner of this road would take care of it, set up security and medical response if anyhing were to happen.

I wonder how one could go about building such a large road.  Would it necessarily imply that I would have to go in with the state tog et bond holders? ANd have joint-interest like the TollRoads?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Yeah, the stuff that could be in place if the state didn't intervene is amazing. For example, garbage disposal via pipeline.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS