Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Attacks on Libertarianism(arians)

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 445
TheIndividualist Posted: Tue, Aug 14 2012 5:22 PM

I just wanted to know if there is a huge post for this and if not, I want to know who is attacking Libertarians or the idea?

Specifically looking for GOP attacks. I know Rick Santorum attacked libertarianism and Ron Paul. And Richard Lugar and Lindsey Graham have been very hostile toward the person and ideas as well. Are there more? I'm sure there is. :P

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I'd imagine anyone close to William Buckley and the National Review.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Everyone except libertarians.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 6:20 PM

Most attacks against libertarianism these days are coming from the left since in national politics the major issues are economic ones rather than social ones. The left like to make out that there's little difference between libertarianism and conservatism, and so "libertarian" is thrown around a lot by left wing economists these days.

From the conservative side the GOP is becoming increasingly restrictive socially from what I can see. They want bigger interventions over seas, more anti-immigrant action, and are at least maintaining their anti-abortion crusade. They're also becoming increasingly religious and the fact that Santorum got as popular as he did when he was actually attempting to blur the line between separation of church and state is unsettling. All of these things I see as implicit attacks on libertarianism, while I don't think that you'll find many explicit attacks since libertarianism is on the upswing and the "cool" thing among republicans because of its roots in the teaparty. The republicans also only have so much dirt to throw at libertarians since libertarians are exactly what they pretend to be, and arguing against them they sound a lot like the liberals they so despise.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 6:26 PM

It's mostly pro war leftist who spout the most rabid attacks

ie: Hillary Clinton followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 6:35 PM

Do you really think so? I've seen little discussion of libertarianism in the mainstream when I have it's mostly from economists like Krugman or Frank

It's rare that I actually hear talk of libertarianism in "mainstream" circles, let alone ones as "common" as Clinton supporters.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 6:42 PM

I mean the whole libertarian philosiphy (Economics, Labor, Anti-Intervention, etc.)

Some of the forums I visit (mostly anime related) have leading members who basically view anything related to libertarianism as the most retarded ideology known to man (Naruto Forums and Arlong Park especially) and won't hesitate to try and redicule anybody associated with it.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 6:50 PM

Oh yeah, there's this blog

http://www.voxday.blogspot.com/

Gary North gets pummeled

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:15 PM

Mmm, good to see someone else around here who's into anime. I think it's interesting that fans would be anti-libertarianism when if you look at one of the everlasting themes of anime, among them being the age old wisdom that the only way to beat a giant robot is with another giant robot, guns are useless against people with swords,  all14 year olds in Japan live more interesting lives than you ever will, and there's no limit to hair color and breast size, it's that the governments probably corrupt as hell and there's some evil corporation pulling the strings anyway.

At any rate, as much as I love the genre, the people who watch it aren't exactly who I run to for political insight.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Gary North gets pummeled

Where?

As for leftist anime fans, I couldn't give a shit about them and their seeming desire to broadcast frail stupid little schoolgirls non-stop. Libertarians tend to garner opposition from two main groups, both beneficiaries of the state - pro-war, often pro-religious "compassionate" (/rofl) conservatives and their equally pro-war (but note: these are good, democratic wars), "bleeding heart" (again, /rofl) leftist counterparts. The state and its benevolence are highly ingrained in most people's minds, so much so that the case for the state is assumed often without argument to be already made and iron-clad. It is a very thin tissue of logical fallacies, though, and a lot of people get defensive when these are lit aflame. We live in a fundamentally "neurotic" society, where everything is "fine", so it's no surprise that some people lash out when their neuroses are exposed.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS