Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

on "Man Economy and State" and "Power and Market"

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 80
MiddleWay posted on Thu, May 26 2011 4:09 PM

I just finished reading Man Economy and State and started Power and Market. Though I haven't investigated carefully, why do I feel that many chapters of the latter are complete copies of the former? Also why combine these two books into one?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Male
767 Posts
Points 11,240

"But the publisher decided to cut the last part of the book, a part that appeared years later as Power and Market. This is the section that applies the theory presented in the first 1,000 pages to matters of government intervention."

Source.

"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 80

thanks.

Still, Rothbard doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who coped his own writings word by word from a previous chapter to a latter one. I am tempted to believe that what the publisher did was more than cutting the last part, but stripping and reorganizing...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

My guess is that it was decided that the parts that were cut out required some kind of base/background if they were to be published as a standalone work...so just as some of the original MES was edited out, I wouldn't be surprised if some of it that actually stayed in MES got added to the rest so that it could form a coherent work as PM.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Fri, May 27 2011 6:23 PM

MiddleWay:

I just finished reading Man Economy and State and started Power and Market. Though I haven't investigated carefully, why do I feel that many chapters of the latter are complete copies of the former? Also why combine these two books into one?

The final part of MES on interventionism is basically a watered-down version of Power & Market which was too controversial for the publisher.

One can skip over this part and go right into Power & Market.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS