Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Free Market is a Perfect Market ?!?!?!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
18 Posts
Points 525
Matthew posted on Thu, May 26 2011 12:24 PM

I've written another post for my blog and Gather.com titled "What is a Free Market?"

One of the commenters has equated perfect markets with free markets. I'm not really sure how to reponds to this. Quoting him:

Theoretically, a free market should "theoretically" tend to be a perfect market.
A free market should be a market free of any insider or outsider influence.
A free market tends to deregulation or no regulations at all.

Of course the last sentence is nonsense as is the rest I'm sure, but what should I tell him?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

I'm not exactly sure that requires a response.  Was he implying a question somewhere?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
229 Posts
Points 3,055
ricarpe replied on Thu, May 26 2011 12:34 PM

I would ask him to define both "perfect market" and "free market" to get clarification on his comment.

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." -James Madison

"If government were efficient, it would cease to exist."

Top 500 Contributor
Male
223 Posts
Points 5,335

I almost thought that the guy was trying to debunk you with the perfect competition model, but I really can't tell what he's talking about. I'd just ask him some questions to try to figure out what he's getting at. 

Yes, I am a huge Dodgers fan.

Anti-state since I learned about the Cuban Revolution and why my dad had to flee the country.

Beer, Guns and Baseball My blog

Not Ranked
Male
18 Posts
Points 525

Hmm. Let me just ask the question, then, is a free market a perfect market?

I don't think so, but am not well read on that.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
304 Posts
Points 4,800

There is really no good answer to your question until you (or, really, the commenter) answer ricarpe's questions.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,037 Posts
Points 17,975

Free of 'insider' influence?

It seems to suggest that a 'market' is something in which no people are involved.  products are just lying around waiting for no one to want them and no one to sell them.

A perfect strawman of something unusable, nonexistent, and so easily refutable.  Or some Platonic ideal. The minute anyone is introduced into a market situation, then, it is equivalent to 'intervention'.  And so all intervention is roughly equivalent. 

And influence is not clear.  It seems to be hiding the gun in the room by not using the word 'force'.  And again making equivications:  influence is the same as force.  Which is ludicrous.

For if the president tells me not to buy beer and leaves it up to me, he is influencing my decision perhaps.  That is quite different than if the president makes a law incarcerating people who buy beer.  Which is influence, but also something in addition.  Just like if someone wants something  and asks it is different than if they pull a knife out and ask.  As women will attest, sex is a different experience than rape.  The type of influence:  being drugged, being at knife point or gunpoint, or simply agreeing consensually makes a hell of a difference.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,943 Posts
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator

A freemarket doesn't have a goal. Hence it cannot fail.

It is the summary of voluntary exchanges on the market.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 150 Contributor
Male
516 Posts
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Sat, May 28 2011 12:10 AM

In reality, a free market "really" is seeking perfection but never attains it. A perfect market only exists theoretically.

A free market exists thanks to insider and outsider influence.

A free market regulates itself.

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS