Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Developing a10th Grade US History course

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
7 Posts
Points 375
righttosecede posted on Tue, Jun 7 2011 8:28 AM

Greetings!

First of all, thank you to all who responded, in great abundance, to my last post which was "which book would you have 10th grade students read?" I would now like to ask for your help in constructing a year long course for 10th grade high school students. My approach to courses I have taught in the pass has been thematic and idea based rather than facts and figures, although, facts and figures are significant. I was thinking of using the theme, "Understanding mythology and its persuasive and powerful role in shaping American history" as my over all theme. I would welcome your thoughts on themes, course progression and outline, important concepts, ideas, individuals, events, etc. My goal is to impart to the students an honest and workable foundation for continued study of both past and present American society. Thank you for any suggestions.

Steve

Please note this is NOT an AP course but rather an IB which means no test, no recall assessment, etc.

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990

Assuming that 10th graders today are actually literate, which in 1985 when I went to high school was only correct on a significant percentage of students and now with grade inflation and auto passing the literacy rate could not have done anything but drop, I would recommend the books here for free on this web site.  You have lots to choose from: "Lincoln Unmasked", "What has the government done to our money?" come to mind immediately.  Of course these students will get their heads full of real history and probably fail their AP exams.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 300

Aloha Steve,

I am getting ready for my 3rd year of teaching US History. What brought me to this site was the search for truth, apart from what I was reading in our textbooks. I have a few of Tom Woods books on USH and copy readings and prepare worksheets. I will be biking and climbing for the next few weeks but as we get into July I will be working on next years LP's. In the past I have had the students read "I, Pencil" during the economics sections. I do not hesitate to tell them the text is lying but I present a different side and in the end let them choose. The Myth of the Robber Barons is a book resource. New Deal or Raw deal another. This year I will be posting a key word bank that I will come back to throughout the year with quizes asking them to connect the ideas. Also I will be keeping the textbook out of the class, for homework only and specific questions s chosen, I do not just go with (nor suspect you of this either) the TE ideas of what should be taught.

Maybe 2nd week of July we could swap some LP's and make each other better.

Cheers,

will

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Bogart:
Of course these students will get their heads full of real history and probably fail their AP exams.

This is a really decent point.  Is this an AP course?  If so, (as sad as it is) you really need to dedicate a decent amount of time to teaching the test.  Practice questions from previous exams, mock testing in class by breaking the test down into the different portions...essays, multiple choice, etc. again, using past tests...and a teaching focus on the specifics and areas that are typically emphasized in the test.

Of course this is not to say you can't actually teach them something, but to really do right by the kids, they need to be prepared for that test so they don't end up wasting even more time in college courses which will shove even more indoctrination down their throat. (And take thousands out of their pockets.)

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 300

No its regular, inclusive, and honors for me. AP is a just teach to the test class. Our AP teacher gets a Kaplan (or whatever it is at the book store) for each student and they work through that during the year.  I do not like the national standards direction that we are heading. Our state has our standards which do have a political agenda but I am able to work with them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
7 Posts
Points 375

Thank you Will! You are correct I do not use a textbook. I use primary and secondary sources, etc. I'd be more than happy to swap some lessons plans with you in July. Thank you for the suggestions.

Steve

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS