Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

would you consider this morally acceptable self defense?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
redwine Posted: Fri, Jun 24 2011 2:24 PM

(note: this is just hypothetical, i am not planning nor encouraging murder and this would never be considered legal self defense) If someone commits a victimless crime such as using/selling drugs or tax evasion, and another person threatens to tell law enforcement, would you consider it morally acceptable self defense if the first person killed the second?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 4:34 PM

In no way. It's not proportional. And second, threating is a victimless crime too, unless that threat is of use of direct violence (threating to cut your throat etc.) if you get my drift.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980

That's a strange question from someone with 3 total posts.  Hope your not planning on stiing in court trying to cite Rothbard on defense...Don't make us all look bad.

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 5:03 PM

No, the threat isn't immanent, nor would violent retaliation be proportional, nor would hurting voters make libertarians safer from state violence than they were before.

It would be appropriate to shun someone on this basis, however.  That's what I'd advocate libertarians do to people who refuse to accept that their actions are wrong.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 212
Points 4,330
Aquila replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 5:30 PM

No, the second person is not threatning direct violence against you. He's merely threatening to tell a third party, which will then proceed to use violence against you. If you wish to be consistent with the NAP, you may only use violence against those who are directly aggressing against you -- in this case, law enforcement. I still wouldn't reccomend it though, for two reasons: 1. You can't out-violence the state, and 2. Killing cops is no way to bring people to libertarianism. Look up the Free Keane folks, they have the right idea.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980

"1. You can't out-violence the state "

this is the greatest trusim ever muttered on a forum.  I am going to work it into a joke, seriously.

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Points 27,940
Eugene replied on Sat, Jun 25 2011 3:03 PM

According to Kinsella threatening to tell a cop would be a crime since you threaten to use the cop as the mean to inflict harm. You reasonably thougth that your action will lead to a harm to property. I think I would agree with Kinsella on this. This however doesn't mean you can kill the person who threatened you because its not proportional, perhaps unless you were selling tons of drugs and would expect a life sentence (which is by the way likely in some cases).

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 985
Points 17,110
Stephen replied on Sun, Jun 26 2011 10:42 PM

Eugene nails it.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 985
Points 17,110
Stephen replied on Sun, Jun 26 2011 10:44 PM

Although in self defense, whatever force is necessary to defend oneself is legitimate. Proportionality only limits punishment, not self defense.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS