Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Survival Seeds: Growing your own food

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,615
rosstaylor Posted: Sun, Jul 10 2011 2:31 PM

I have been considering buying some "survival seeds" (non-hybrid) just in case I need to grow my own food supply. I was wondering if anyone in here has any suggestion on what site/seeds to obtain.

Since you are here, I'm sure you already knew that food shortages are coming world wide (certain parts of the world are already experiencing it). Does anyone here have experience growing your own food? Please share and recommend some readings - thank you!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

Since you are here, I'm sure you already knew that food shortages are coming world wide

Really?  Do you know where you are posting this?

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Sun, Jul 10 2011 3:24 PM

I had my start the hard way: by working on a farm. wink

If you want to read something I suggest you look up books by John Seymour. He isn't a "survivalist", but an agronomist who wrote books about "self-sufficiency". My copies are pretty dated ('70s) but they are still good reading, though I suspect more recent editions have been "sanitized". They will teach you how to prepare the soil (the methods he suggests are still unbeatable, trust me), how to make your own fertilizer, what to grow in those "bad" spots, how to preserve food on the cheap etc.

As for seeds the best way is to start experimenting. I cannot suggest which cultivars you should use because each place is different. Start out by planting an assortment of cultivars and see which ones perform the best in your local conditions. Learn how to propagate your plants (tip: books by the Royal Horticultural Society are a big help here). Heirloom cultivars aren't protected by copyright so you can propagate them at will. Also take note of what grows and what not in your area and what resists to local diseases and parasites. Favor disease resistant cultivars. Don't be afraid to experiment and plant "exotic" cultivars: you may be pleasantly surprised. Start seeing if in your area there are groups dedicated to the preservation of rare and ancient cultivars and animal breeds, like the Swiss Pro Specie Rara.

And even if there isn't a famine, you'll be rewarded. Once you eat your first homegrown tomato you'll never look back.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 705
magnetic replied on Sun, Jul 10 2011 3:40 PM

It seems like a better idea to stock up on tobacco, whiskey, gold and silver, and so on.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,615

Thank you, Kakugo! You've always been so helpful! I've already got his books on my Amazon queue!

Any other suggestions? I actually don't plan on stayin in the US for very long, hoping for Canada. I have also have one other question, how would you help someone in the US when time gets tough? I posted another question regarding international money transfer but no one answered yet.

Please lend me your opinion!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Mon, Jul 11 2011 4:56 AM

Well, Canada is not exactly the first place that springs to mind when it comes at growing vegetables! wink

Suggestions: if you have a garden right now it's too late to plant anything. But not too late to start working. As a first thing set aside a parcel of land and begin planning what to do next year. If you lack storage space build a toolshed and bring water to the area by running an extension tube (easier done than said). Build a compost box: don't buy those silly plastic things. They are expensive and, in my opinion, a bit clumsy to use. A well organized vegetable patch is a productive vegetable patch and it's pleasant to see. Seymour's book will help you with everything: even my grandfather, a grumpy old man who liked to do everything on his own, had to grudgingly admit Seymour's designs were unbeatable (I inherited the books from him). Since you still lack the fertilizer start looking around your area for someone who will sell you good quality manure. If there's a horse ranch, that's premium quality material. Since the collapse hasn't started yet (wink) you may want to have a tiller at hand while preparing the soil. These are really expensive so it's better to rent one: most hardware shops will have a few for rent. You won't need one every year (a spade will suffice) but to break the soil and work the manure into the ground for the first time they are a huge help. Also start buying equipment: a spade, a pick, a pickaxe etc. Buy only good quality material: it will last years and years and there's nothing worse than trying working the land with cheap implements. A personal tip: learn to wear working gloves at all times. Not only they will save your hands from splinters, thorns etc but they also prevent blisters.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

rosstaylor:

I have been considering buying some "survival seeds" (non-hybrid) just in case I need to grow my own food supply. I was wondering if anyone in here has any suggestion on what site/seeds to obtain.

Since you are here, I'm sure you already knew that food shortages are coming world wide (certain parts of the world are already experiencing it). Does anyone here have experience growing your own food? Please share and recommend some readings - thank you!

I love the idea, but an even better one would be to learn primitivist hunter-gatherer skills. That way you'll ALWAYS have a food supply.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,615

Certain parts of Canada is great for agricultural products (i.e Alberta), and Canada is not that hard to get into for Americans.

What about my second question regarding money transfer to help those in need?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS