Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Send this to every Democrat you know

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Fri, Jul 8 2011 3:57 PM

If You Love Peace, Become a "Blue Republican" (Just for a Year)

by Robin Koerner
July 7, 2011

The world lost its goodwill toward the USA when Americans voted for George W. Bush the second time around.

I don't endorse the idea that American politics should be dictated by foreign opinions but a reading of the foreign press over the last six years reveals that the first election of President Bush Jr. was largely excused around the world since no one could have known what this new president was going to do.
Moreover, America arguably didn't vote for him anyway in 2000.

However, the second election President Bush was not excused, because by 2004, the modus operandi of the Bush administration was clear. He wanted to 1) conduct wars against countries that did not threaten us (e.g. Iraq), 2) oversee large financial benefits to companies with which those in his administration were close (e.g. Halliburton), 3) establish a legal framework for riding roughshod over the liberties of private individuals who are not suspected of crime (e.g. Patriot Act), and 4) establish a massive federal apparatus to carry out such intrusions on innocent Americans in what is becoming a police state (e.g. domestic wiretapping, TSA etc... )

The more-or-less global delight upon Obama's election in 2008 followed largely from the hope that Americans had realized what a mistake they had made with Bush's second term and were therefore voting against the egregious actions of the then Republican establishment.

When most Americans voted for "Hope" and "Change," the above four objectives were at the top of their list of what they "hoped" would be "changed."

After two years, however, we now see that Obama 1) conducts wars against countries that do not threaten us (e.g. Libya, Yemen etc.), 2) oversees large financial benefits to companies with which those in his administration were close (e.g. Goldman Sachs), 3) supports the legal framework for riding roughshod over the liberties of private individuals who are not suspected of crime (e.g. Patriot Act), and 4) is growing a massive federal apparatus to carry out such intrusions on innocent Americans in what is becoming a police state (e.g. domestic wiretapping, TSA etc.. )

Put another way, when it comes to such things as the killing of innocent people, taking from the common man to support cronies, and the elimination of the basic values that make our lives worth living, we had the hope, but we haven't had the change.

Just as in 2000, Bush hadn't shown his true colors, in 2008, Obama had not either. A vote for either in those years was fair enough. But in 2012, if you vote for the Democratic nominee for president, you better have a moral justification that is SO good that it is a) worth killing innocent people who don't threaten you, b) transferring wealth to the rich and well connected, and c) the complete suspension of your right to privacy and such basic rights as protecting your child from being touched by a government official with the full force of the law behind him as he just follows his orders.

Do I labor the point? Good.

I don't believe that such a justification exists. I'm having difficulty seeing...[continued]

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

This is interesting. 

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 1,135
Zizzer replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 12:15 AM

As Lee Doren said, HuffPo is a business, and its customers are angry children.  They'll gobble this right up.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 198
Points 3,100
jay replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 12:42 PM

Not clicking that link (AOL/HuffPo was a former employer of mine), but this guy (gal?) sounds like a libertarian...but I bet he's a liberal democrat, right?

"The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -C.S. Lewis
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 495
Kaiser replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 12:55 PM

Looking at some of his other articles and his facebook page, I can tell this guy is a full-fledged libertarian.

"I know that it is a hopeless undertaking to debate about fundamental value judgments."-Albert Einstein

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 337
Points 7,660

Woah, whatever you think of Libya, it's pretty ridiculous to liken it to Iraq. Oh, and the world lost its goodwill towards the USA when the world expected America to do everything and then expected America to take the blame when shit went wrong. 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 209
Points 3,595

And here is an awesome article from a lefty written for the left on why they should vote for Paul in 2012.

Check out my video, Ron Paul vs Lincoln! And share my PowerPoint with your favorite neo-con
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS