Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Hurriken Katrina, FEMA, Bush, Nagin, and separating fact from myth.

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290
No2statism Posted: Sun, Jul 8 2012 8:39 PM

Who exactly do you think was at fault?  Why?

Why did Bush blame Nagin?

Anyway, I heard that in Decision Points, Bush blames Nagin, but I don't believe him.  Can anyone here critique Bush's autobiographical defense of his admin during Hurrican Katrina?  I haven't read Decision Points, but a libertarian on a forum elsewhere thinks that Bush was not at fault and it's one of the few things he trusts Bush on.

Bonus question about the weird weather we've been having and the Earthquake last year... am I nuts for being open (actually I lean towards it) to the theory that the government (or the elites somewhere) has been engineering the environment, has that theory been proposed by others, or both?  If that theory has been proposed by someone else, then a link to what you think is the best source on it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I found an article about the VA Earthquake and it makes perfect sense.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 7,165

In regards to your comments on weather manipulation:

Nikola Tesla claimed to have a theory on how to use electrical fields to manipulate the weather, so that humans could make it rain over the deserts to make them fertile again, and make droughts a thing of the past. Of course, if one could use the electricity to make beneficial weather, then presumably, one could weaponize it as well.

Also, he is said to have created an earthquake machine, which relied upon the resonance frequency of Earth. He is said to have shaken the building in New York, in which he had a lab in at one time, so fiercely that residents thought there was an actual earthquake, and police and firefighters were called to find out Tesla was responsible. No one was injured. He had lots of different ideas on the nature of electricity, gravity, and the universe in general. Sadly, most of his ideas never came to fruition, as he spent the latter part of his life in near solitude, going from a world-renowned engineer/scientist to an obscurity in the scientific world. I believe there was a lot of merit to his ideas. He just didn't have the funds to fully test them. And of course, wouldn't you know it... upon his death, with no heirs, the US governments seized all of his belongings, including reportedly enough papers to fill a boxcar, in 1945, as they were of significance to "national security."

To this day, the US government has released NONE of his work. Kind of makes you think his ideas must be worth something, doesn't it?

The book, Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius, by Marc J. Seifer is a fascinating read if you know little about the man and his work.

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 10:38 PM

The New York Times reported September 5, 2005, “As the Bush administration tried to show a more forceful effort to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina, government officials on Sunday escalated their criticism and sniping over who was to blame for the problems plaguing the initial response. While rescuers were still trying to reach people stranded by the floods, perhaps the only consensus among local, state and federal officials was that the system had failed. Some federal officials said uncertainty over who was in charge had contributed to delays in providing aid and imposing order, and officials in Louisiana complained that Washington disaster officials had blocked some aid efforts. Local and state resources were so weakened, said Michael Chertoff, the homeland security secretary, that in the future federal authorities need to take "more of an upfront role earlier on, when we have these truly ultracatastrophes." But furious state and local officials insisted that the real problem was that the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which Mr. Chertoff's department oversees, failed to deliver urgently needed help and, through incomprehensible red tape, even thwarted others' efforts to help. "We wanted soldiers, helicopters, food and water," said Denise Bottcher, press secretary for Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco of Louisiana. "They wanted to negotiate an organizational chart."”

The Washington Post reported September 11, 2005, “As the floodwaters recede and the dead are counted, what went wrong during a terrible week that would render a modern American metropolis of nearly half a million people uninhabitable and set off the largest exodus of people since the Civil War, is starting to become clear. Federal, state and local officials failed to heed forecasts of disaster from hurricane experts. Evacuation plans, never practical, were scrapped entirely for New Orleans's poorest and least able. And once floodwaters rose, as had been long predicted, the rescue teams, medical personnel and emergency power necessary to fight back were nowhere to be found.”

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS