Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Problem of Externality

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 264
Points 4,630
Grant Posted: Wed, Oct 22 2008 5:25 PM

Its not Austrian, but this is the best paper I've read all year:

http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~wwwciom/Dahlman.pdf

In a nutshell, the author shows how the effects of many externalities are pareto-effecient, and thus really aren't externalities at all. Put another way, externalities aren't the problem, transaction costs are.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Looks interesting. I'll probably give it a read later.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 451
Points 9,765
Rubén replied on Wed, Oct 22 2008 5:56 PM

If I read this correctly, it remains a matter entirely of judgment whether to use government or not in order to deal with externalities. It leaves a lot of subjectivity to the reader. However, why would transaction costs be a problem? Transaction costs are private endeavors that are profits for some microeconomic entity, so somehow those transaction costs should be an addition to domestic product.

Art transcends ideology.

http://mises.org/Community/blogs/ruben

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Read it. It's an interesting article, very Austrian at certain points (especially in how it treats "transaction" costs as a cost like any other, to be incorporated in valuations of the good.) I don't agree with the author's solution to lowering transaction costs (obviously), but the rest of his points don't rest on it anyway. He basically does reaffirm one Austrian tenet: that implicit in all public goods theories is the smuggling of the theorist's normative preferences.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 264
Points 4,630
Grant replied on Thu, Oct 23 2008 2:33 AM

Jon Irenicus:
I don't agree with the author's solution to lowering transaction costs (obviously), but the rest of his points don't rest on it anyway.

Well, the author makes no assertions that government can in fact reduce transaction costs in a cost-effective manner, he simply acknowledges it as a possiblity. His last comment about treating government as an endogenous organization instead of a dues ex machina suggests to me that he is skeptical.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 139
Points 2,970
Magnus replied on Thu, Oct 23 2008 9:27 AM

Jon Irenicus:

He basically does reaffirm one Austrian tenet: that implicit in all public goods theories is the smuggling of the theorist's normative preferences.

-Jon

That is so true! These authors of mainstream economics textbooks are really skillfull in hiding this fact and most people when first introduced to the study of economics (and who are not familiar with the austrians) don't notice this "smuggling".

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Well, the author makes no assertions that government can in fact reduce transaction costs in a cost-effective manner, he simply acknowledges it as a possiblity. His last comment about treating government as an endogenous organization instead of a dues ex machina suggests to me that he is skeptical.

Yeah, his conclusions were pretty tentative. Anyway, I think he hit the nail on the head by treating the topic of externalities as a matter of transaction costs. It's basically how I approach the topic as well, at least by drawing out what is implicit in Hoppe's work.  He seems skeptical of mathematical approaches to economics as well.

-Jon

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS