Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Alex Jones: "Occupy The Fed"

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830
Graham Wright Posted: Fri, Oct 7 2011 4:40 PM

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 4:55 PM

Nice. I hope it takes off. I'm glad Alex Jones sees through the phony-baloney OWS as an attempt to deflect attention from the Fed onto Wall Street and is turning it into an opportunity to bring even more attention to the Fed.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Seconded. yes

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Give the power back to Congress?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 6:22 PM

Give the power back to Congress?

Ending the Fed would deprive the bankers of the power they now wield. While Congress should not be printing paper money, either, (I'm about 99% sure Alex Jones agrees with this), it's an effective wedge argument for those who do not understand what the problem is with the government printing money but can understand the problem with banksters buying up all the seats in Congress and the Presidency and the political parties, etc. If you don't understand why we need to abolish government paper money, you should at least be able to understand that the power to issue money should not be in private hands not held accountable to the public by any means, even electoral.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

The Federal Reserve System was created by an Act of Congress, which a majority of Congress could theoretically repeal at any time. The fact that this has not happened suggests to me that Congress remains by-and-large complicit in this arrangement.

Given the above, I don't think Congress will nationalize the Fed unless and until the Fed stops satisfying the government's wishes. At that point, the government will take upon itself the role of "banker of bankers". I think the last thing the government would want to do at that point is abolish fiat money. Instead, the road to hyperinflation would grow much shorter.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

"The people on the ground [at the OccupyWallStreet movement] are good, and understand the Federal Reserve is the central organization empowering this world government system."

Clayton:
Alex Jones sees through the phony-baloney OWS as an attempt to deflect attention from the Fed onto Wall Street

Really?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

Here's a good article about the attempt to focus OWS on the Fed: http://thedailybell.com/3052/Hope-for-Occupy-Wall-Street

Some quotes from it:

Good news: Occupy Wall Street has raised the issue of central banking and performed an increasingly serious educative service. It's given libertarian concerns a platform which maybe able to support a serious discussion about central banking. Occupy Wall Street in this fashion, can be looked on as a beginning not an end.

Bad news: Occupy Wall Street itself continues to be a confused, unfocused protest. There seem to be too many dissonant voices, and increasingly they seem of the Leftist variety. In fact, unions, Democratic politicians and leftists of every stripe and variety are seemingly trying to reconfigure Occupy Wall Street in order to claim it for themselves.

People, especially young people, are upset and energized. That's good. Occupy Wall Street may end up educating many of them about central banking.

Occupy Wall Street, suffering from a series of mainstream takeover attempts, may also evolve – at least in part – into a focused and disciplined process that brings change to the central banking system. Here's hoping it does.

I applaud Alex for his reaction to these events.  Rather than sitting around mocking the laughable demands of some of the protestors, or telling them to blame themselves, or denouncing the protests as "fake", Alex has seized the initiative.  People are angry and rightfully so.  They know they're getting screwed, and on purpose, by the system, which works for the elites.  They are ripe for being educated on how that system works.  They are ripe for being persuaded that their target should be the Fed, the source of the bankers' power, rather than private businesses, and that less government is needed, not more.  While Alex is not entirely Austrian, he is certainly benefiting the liberty movement by focussing OWS attention towards the Fed. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I'm totally with you on that, Graham...it's definitely an opportunity to harness the general anger and, with a little education, focus it in a useful and helpful direction.

So maybe he's simply trying to help that cause by calling these people on the ground "good", so as not to alienate them.  It's entirely possible he's seizing the opportunity to tell these clueless people what it is they're actually protesting...Which is obviously quite clever.  "The people on the ground are good, and understand the Federal Reserve is the central organization empowering this world government system."  That could easily be him directing the aimless followers and indirectly giving them something specific to actually be protesting. 

It's like standing next to someone who doesn't know what's going on and telling someone else who is challenging him "Hey!  This guy knows exactly what's going on...he knows the central banking system is the root cause of all these issues.  He understands the creation of fiat currency out of thin air leads to bubbles and malinvestment, which inevitably results in recession and depression.  He knows the elites benefit from the inflation created by the Fed.  He knows all about it.  You tell him, man."  And the clueless guy goes..."yeah!"

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS