Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Educashun

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Points 6,535
Voievod Posted: Wed, Jul 23 2008 12:47 PM

I saw this interesting quote on the front page today: publicly funded education, which already drains brain power and time

I totally agree! Publicly funded education is indeed a waste.

For example, I learned much more OOP/Web Programming in a 2-week Microsoft-sponsored training than in a whole semester dedicated to that stuff, and that's university!

Do you know of any really good learning plans that take a person from complete illiteracy to high-school-graduate-level but in a shorter time and more efficiently?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800

xSFx:
I saw this interesting quote on the front page today: publicly funded education, which already drains brain power and time

Reminds me of a quote by Mark Twain, "Dont' let school stand in the way of your education."

xSFx:
For example, I learned much more OOP/Web Programming in a 2-week Microsoft-sponsored training than in a whole semester dedicated to that stuff, and that's university!

I can empathize with you here.  I learned more attempting a web startup during college than any of my classes combined.

xSFx:
Do you know of any really good learning plans that take a person from complete illiteracy to high-school-graduate-level but in a shorter time and more efficiently?

Curious to know if there are any anyone knows of...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 515
Points 8,495
fsk replied on Mon, Jul 28 2008 10:33 AM

I wrote an article on the defect of schools.  A typical school setting is designed to prevent learning and not encourage learning.

If you really want to learn, research things on your own.

I have my own blog at FSK's Guide to Reality. Let me know if you like it.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS