Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Entrepreneurship books

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 225
Jas0n Posted: Fri, Aug 26 2011 12:15 PM

Hey there guys,

I am looking for some solid beginner level books about entrepreneurship which cover both the theoretical aspect as well as ones that offer sound practical advice. 

Your time is very much appreciated.

Jason.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Fri, Aug 26 2011 1:38 PM

All Austrians since Mises have placed a huge emphasis on the role of the entrepreneur, however, it only consumed the work of one Austrian and that's Israel Kirzner.

http://mises.org/store/Competition-and-Entrepreneurship-P40.aspx

The problem with this is that it might be more advanced and more theoretical than your requirements want it to be, with this being said I don't know where you're going to find something that covers both theory and practice of entrepreneurship. Another problem is that entrepreneurship as an elaborated topic is a very complex phenomenon so you might have a hard time getting beginner works on it.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Earlier this year I got through this book in a couple of days.  Honestly I recommend it to everyone.  And I mean that.  He knows his stuff. (I know him personally).  He's a CPA as well as an attorney, so his area of specialty is tax and legal planning, but he's also an accomplished real estate investor and businessman.

The nature of the book is almost like 4 Hour WorkWeek by Tim Ferriss.  (Which I also strongly recommend).  The difference with this one though is that it's even more geared for beginners...and by that I mean people who might be so set in their current life of job, spouse, kids, mortgage, 2 weeks vacation/yr, and 401k+social security, etc, that something like Tim Ferriss might be too much for them to grasp right away.

While Ferriss does keep that demographic in mind, and he does teach tactics for guys in that very situation, there is still an element of stigma that needs to be hurdled, and Tim didn't have a lot of room to tackle that in his book.

This one is totally geared for the crowd some like to call the 4-40s....40 hours/wk, for 40 years, at 40k/yr, for a $40 gold watch at retirement.  He helps overcome those obstacles that plague a lot of people by making it practical and applicable to their situation.  He shows how a transition to entrepreneurship can be made, and offers some invaluable advice on tax planning and asset protection along the way.  Seriously, read this one.

If you follow that first link you can get a physical copy, a pdf, and an audio for $20.  (And no I don't get anything for it.  There's no way to link me to your purchase anyway.)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon HIll. I recommend this book because it changed my attitude, with regards to making profits, from "because I benefit" to "because we benefit."

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Also, I've been reading The House of Rothschild, Volume I by Niall Ferguson. The Rothschilds would seriously undercut everybody else because they wanted to be able to build relationships that would bring greater future business. I think this is important to remember as you're trying to squeeze out that last penny out of a single deal.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 225
Jas0n replied on Fri, Aug 26 2011 4:53 PM

Ah those are great resources guys so fa guys cheers!

The book doesn' need to contain both theory and practice, I will be happy to purchas/pursue any book worth reading. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Fri, Aug 26 2011 10:11 PM

Listen to this interview with Steve Wozniak on Steve Jobs.

http://bloom.bg/ng6Vz5#ooid=8xMWJyMjoT9XMTeW4oIZemoYVX1n4cfz

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Everyone agrees he's one of the greatest human beings of our time...and listen to what the one guy who would know said:

"He wanted to have a success, he wanted to be an important person in the world and he wanted to it doing by having a company that was successful and made money."

What a greedy fat cat bastard, right?

And it gets even better:

"He must have read some books that really were his guide in life, you know.  I think Atlas Shrugged might have been one of them that he mentioned back then, but they were his guides in life as to how you make a difference in the world, and it starts with a company and you build products and you gotta make your profit...and then that allows you to invest the profit and then make better products that make more profit.   I would say how good a company is—it's fair to measure it by its profitability."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,615

I like James Altucher's "How to be the Luckiest Person Alive".

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 5:46 AM

Earlier this year I got through this book in a couple of days.  Honestly I recommend it to everyone.  And I mean that.  He knows his stuff. (I know him personally).  He's a CPA as well as an attorney, so his area of specialty is tax and legal planning, but he's also an accomplished real estate investor and businessman.

This is how this guy looks and talks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNGmuQOM4_0

The nature of the book is almost like 4 Hour WorkWeek by Tim Ferriss.  (Which I also strongly recommend).  The difference with this one though is that it's even more geared for beginners...and by that I mean people who might be so set in their current life of job, spouse, kids, mortgage, 2 weeks vacation/yr, and 401k+social security, etc, that something like Tim Ferriss might be too much for them to grasp right away.

And this is how this guy looks:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Timothy_Ferriss.jpg/240px-Timothy_Ferriss.jpg

You have to admit there is a resemblance in apperances

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS