Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Help! What Article Was That?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 230
Mark David Ledbetter posted on Sat, Nov 19 2011 8:09 PM

Help! I need some info. I’m well into the third of a five volume libertarian history of America (first two dirt cheap if you have a kindle or nook) and I really want to include a story that I’m sure I read about here at Mises very roughly six months ago. But for the life of me, I can’t find it. Anyone remember?

It’s the story of a successful southern integrated antebellum town of free blacks and whites (founded by blacks). The economy was undercut, though, when the govt intentionally chose to bypass the city with their railroad, even though the town was on the logical route both from an engineering and commercial standpoint. It was, as I vaguely recall, in Missouri near the Mississippi River.

Anyone remember that?

Govt. intervention in the transportation market is an important part of my history. The story of this town will tie into, for example, the story in volume four of how govt-built freeways destroyed our now forgotten vibrant black city neighborhoods of the 1950s. One anti-freeway congressman described the policy thus: White roads through black bedrooms.

Anyway, anyone remember the name of that little town? Or the name of the article?

Thanks

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 230
  • | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 50
nbome replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 8:51 PM

'The Endless Sufferings of Cairo, Illinois'

http://mises.org/daily/5281

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

That sounds kind of like

The Endless Sufferings of Cairo, Illinois

but some of the details are off.  Is that the one you were thinking of?

Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 230
  • | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

It looks as though you answered your own question, but you'll have to edit your post and replace what you typed, because as you can see, it didn't load...meaning it's lost.  Hopefully you didn't type a lot, but I'm curious if you found what you were looking for and it wasn't that article that we guessed.

On that note, this might be useful to you as well:

The Transformation of the American Economy, 1865-1914

(Wheylous, if you catch this, you might find this up your alley as well...since I seem to remember you saying something about focusing your current studies on the Gilded Age...)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Thank you, kind sir. I shall add that to my list. I just finished Meltdown yesterday (having started it yesterday as well) and now I'm about to start The Jungle.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 230

nbome and John James,

Many thanks. Yes, that is exactly the article I'm looking for. And thanks for the book recommend. That also looks like something I need.

Now, let's hope that this time - new day, new computer - the message will go!

Fingers crossed...

Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 230

Anyone interested in the trains and New Philly, check out this:

http://www.empowernewsmag.com/listings.php?article=1625

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS