Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Groins, beaches, airplanes, anarchy, and private property

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn Posted: Mon, Jul 28 2008 7:04 PM

In coastal areas, the sand on beaches drifts slightly to the left or right, depending on the prevailing winds.

A person who owns a beach may choose to create a groin, or an outcropping of land, in order to trap the sand and improve the quality of the beach.  However, people who own beaches ajacent to this person's beach may find that the groin causes beach erosion, as less sand reaches their beach.  If the owner of the ajacent property values their beach, they will object to the action, creating a property conflict.  If there is nothing the other property owner can do, they may also build a groin, thus continuing the cycle.

I brought this up because it was addressed in Geology today.  Question is, how can we resolve this conflict under an anarchist system, and somehow stop people from building a lot of groins.

Another question.  How would passports, and traveling to other satist countries work under anarchy?

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Mon, Jul 28 2008 7:27 PM

eliotn:
how can we resolve this conflict under an anarchist system, and somehow stop people from building a lot of groins.

The same way you keep people from building dams that would flood their neighbor's property.

Groins would not be universally illicit, only those that were found to be destructive of another person's property would be.

If my groin effects an unowned beach, there is no victim. If a person should later decide to homestead that beach they can not demand that I destroy the groin. My neighbor homesteaded the beach as he found it, which included the groin. His acquisition of land can not diminish the prior homestead of my own land, for the same reason that he can not homestead property that I already own.

Peace

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Tue, Jul 29 2008 6:47 PM

Byzantine:
So long as the groins on the beach in question are female, I have no problem with them.  The more the merrier, I say.  Yes

Sorry, but these groins are just plain earth. :)

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 445
MsPatriot replied on Tue, Jul 29 2008 7:53 PM

K, well color me one who thought you were headed a whole other direction!

Still, people should always leave other peoples' groins alone unless the other people are okay with you messing with their groins. If it's on land that they later purchase, it should belong to them as domain, and they should be able to choose what to do with it. If you built it on your own land, you could have a dominion right to do what you want, but unless you're just a jerk, considering a long term negative consequence that will impact your investment too should be ground enough to reconsider your immediate desire.

Kinda like when you're 22 and get a tattoo on your neck of your current girlfriend naked, humping a wild bull, and her name all scrolled though eagle wings, eagle of which is smoking a big fattie. At 25, that girl long gone out of your life after a huge breakup fight 2 weeks after the tat healed, but you'd have to deal with all future gfs who may be less capable of accepting that there were others before her...and then closer to 30s you reeeally want that internship now that you're into politics and considering running for....eh well...so much for that...pretty clear you inhaled. Stick out tongue

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

MsPatriot:
Kinda like when you're 22 and get a tattoo on your neck of your current girlfriend naked, humping a wild bull, and her name all scrolled though eagle wings, eagle of which is smoking a big fattie. At 25, that girl long gone out of your life after a huge breakup fight 2 weeks after the tat healed, but you'd have to deal with all future gfs who may be less capable of accepting that there were others before her...and then closer to 30s you reeeally want that internship now that you're into politics and considering running for....eh well...so much for that...pretty clear you inhaled.

We've met before?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS