Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Questions about The Story of Civilization by Will Durant

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775
Smiling Dave posted on Wed, Nov 16 2011 11:03 PM

1. Will Durant writes in Volume One:

The Polynesians had nets a thousand ells long, which could be handled only by a hundred men; in such ways economic provision grew hand in hand with political organization, and the united quest for food helped to generate the state.

Any info about this? Is this the way the state was generated?

2. He also writes:

The moment man begins to take thought of the morrow he passes out of the Garden of Eden into the vale of anxiety; the pale cast of worry settles down upon him, greed is sharpened, property begins, and the good cheer of the "thoughtless" native disappears. The American Negro is making this transition today,

When is the "today" he is talking about? What happened then?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 11:16 PM

There's no reason why a government could not originate out of mutual organization. In a lot of ways it depends on the society and the factors available, I'd need more details, if not I could just give you a lot of possibilities. Simply consider that it could well have been that the state originally handled the organization of these men but at the same time it was as involved and as free market as a state can be (much more possible on a small scale)

As for the second he's talking about the move into real civilization.

Simply a warning, ALWAYS be weary of history. The past is set in stone, the way we think of it is not.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

Smiling Dave:
1. Will Durant writes in Volume One:

The Polynesians had nets a thousand ells long, which could be handled only by a hundred men; in such ways economic provision grew hand in hand with political organization, and the united quest for food helped to generate the state.

Any info about this? Is this the way the state was generated?

I don't think so. The state is the authoritarian family/clan/tribe writ large.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Male
645 Posts
Points 9,865
James replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 11:45 AM

How is a hundred people fishing equivalent to a 'state'?  What kind of definition is that?

To have a state, you'd need an elite mystical priestly class pretending that they have some arcane, secret fishing knowledge that cannot be known by ordinary fishermen, and that this knowledge is utterly essential to prevent disaster.  Then you'd also need an enforcement class to back up the priests' ideology, and enforce the transfer of resorces from the fishermen to themselves and the priestly class, in accordance with some tenet of this ideology.

Then you'd have a state.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,945 Posts
Points 36,550

Yes!  Ignorance and subjegation walk hand in hand.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Ignorance and subjegation walk hand in hand.

I like this line so much I'm going to add it to my signature, with credit to you.

Subjegation?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,945 Posts
Points 36,550

Why, thank you!

Oops, subjUgation.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS