Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

eReaders - Text-To-Speech

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 395
SortOfAmish Posted: Tue, Mar 6 2012 4:18 PM

I just bought a Kindle 4 after learning that .epub can be converted. into .MOBI. It's great that the Mises Institute provides these books basically for free and my hope is to donate a large amount of money one day.

With that said, does anyone own a Kindle 3 keyboard? I'm thinking about return the Kindle 4 for a Kindle 3 just because it has audio. Does Text-To-Speech work when you download and convert .epub to .MOBI? Or do you have to buy the actual Kindle version from Amazon for Text-to-Speech to work?

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 10:24 PM

It works for any book, even imported ones. Basically it reads the text with a machine voice just like the Microsoft text-to-speech reader, but maybe a bit better.

I've got a keyboard and I love it, so I'd recommend it :)

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

Have you tried reading PDF files on the Kindle? I hear Kindle2+ has support now, but I've been relunctant thus far.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 11:30 PM

Michelangelo:

Have you tried reading PDF files on the Kindle? I hear Kindle2+ has support now, but I've been relunctant thus far.

Yeah I have. Even in landscape mode it's not nearly as fun as the native Mobi format where you can inflate the size of the text to luxury proportions ^_^ It's readable, but not much fun.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 395

Thanks. I'm going to return the Kindle 4 for the Kindle Keyboard.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS