Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Homeschool Illegal in California?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 102
Points 2,555
reidbump Posted: Thu, Mar 6 2008 6:38 PM

Another example of the state ruining a good thing.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-homeschool6mar06,0,7343621.story

I guess California was tired of producing such bright students in the private sector (homeschooling) because it shows how terrible state-run education really is. 

"Paper money has had the effect in your state that it will ever have, to ruin commerce, oppress the honest, and open the door to every species of fraud and injustice." - George Washington
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 253
Points 4,535
Mark B. replied on Thu, Mar 6 2008 8:28 PM

Lots of people have left California because of their oppressive anti-homeschooling policies.  Only thing I can recommend to homeschooling parents.  Get out of California and stay away from that state.  The state courts are filled with useless Statists, and of course, any Federal appeal would go to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, another home of statism.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Thu, Mar 6 2008 9:42 PM

Most of the words in the article deal with usual statists arguments against families.  The one sentence that struck me was:

A lawyer appointed to represent two of the Long's young children requested that the court require them to physically attend a public or private school where adults could monitor their well-being.

Appearantly the State determines who is an adult beyond their 18th year.  Talk about a horrible licencing procedure:  Despite being old enough, smart enough, independent enough, you are not an adult as defined by the state and therefore you need the state to appoint an adult those you are responsible for.  This is sick.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 102
Points 2,555
reidbump replied on Thu, Mar 6 2008 10:19 PM

Mark B.:
Lots of people have left California because of their oppressive anti-homeschooling policies.

I think that was the case about 10 years ago.  Since about 2000, however, California has been one of the "freest" states for homeschooling.  That's why this decision is such a drawback.  Cali went from the best to the worst overnight, at least in this regard.   

"Paper money has had the effect in your state that it will ever have, to ruin commerce, oppress the honest, and open the door to every species of fraud and injustice." - George Washington
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 395

Well it looks like the time has come to leave this joint Angry

"Government is just a group of men and women doing business at the barrel of a gun." — Marc Stevens, No State Project

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 50
Points 1,165
ForumsAdministrator
jmw replied on Thu, Aug 7 2008 6:21 PM

I was homeschooled..this is depressing. The whole issue creates strange bedfellows out of the homeschoolers (who are mostly conservative Christians) and libertarians. Some good news: the case is being rexamined...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS