Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

We're Back?

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 286
Points 5,555
Evilsceptic Posted: Fri, Jan 13 2012 7:07 AM

When I go to community from the main page I now come here, rather than to community.mises.org. Anyone else getting this?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 7:12 AM

Yes!  That explains the new posters.

Aww, it felt like a secret society for a while there. :p 

(Or some awful Cheers bar.)

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

It's about time.  Have you looked at that "new" community?  It's been a train wreck for almost the better part of a year at least.  It was killing me that people were getting directed there.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,800
cporter replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 8:49 AM

I noticed this the other day when I tried getting to the new forums to see what was up.

I wonder how one goes about volunteering to fix these forum issues....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 286
Points 5,555

James:

Some awful Cheers bar.

Did you just use awful and Cheers in the same sentence? HEATHEN! 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 1:33 PM

"It's about time.  Have you looked at that "new" community?  It's been a train wreck for almost the better part of a year at least.  It was killing me that people were getting directed there."

Do you know what it was about the new community that caused that? Or was it just that few of the more experienced posters left and the apparatus itself wasn't user-friendly?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,800
cporter replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 1:46 PM

IMO, the initial launch didn't go well because the look and feel of the site wasn't ready for general users. I believe the new community suffered from a common UI problem: it only seemed usable and familiar to developers who had spent a lot of time learning the interface while they were developing the technical aspects. When new users hit it everything was confusing and so people just went back to the old forums.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

It was especially confusing to people who spent a lot of time on Internet forums because it didn't follow the standard. 

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Not Ranked
Posts 57
Points 1,050
Sonik replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 2:55 PM

I know I don't post often but I read these forums (older one) almost every day and for whatever its worth, thank you for returning it back to this.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I didn't do it, nor do I have the power to do it.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 5:18 PM

I tried to like the new community. Really tried. I even made a few posts. What really drove me against the wall was the absolutely insane quantity of spam, not only on the boards themselves, but also in my email folder (since it came through the Mises Community it was easy to track down the source).

If everything's back normal it means the Istitute will get the end of the year donation I held off because of that complete trainwreck...

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Neodoxy:
Do you know what it was about the new community that caused that? Or was it just that few of the more experienced posters left and the apparatus itself wasn't user-friendly?

Well, in the opinion of most, it was never really ready for public launch in the first place.

The New Mises Community

My advice regarding the Mises Community (video)

New forums, old forums?

But there was a big push from the powers that be to have it.  If you read through those threads you'll see there was some conjecture that Jeff Tucker was just a bit too caught up in the technology and his own vision of how the site should be structured...and no input was requested.  And when users did try to offer it, it seemed to be largely ignored.

Combine that with the terrible setup and a seemingly unspoken need to have everything on Wordpress, and you don't get off to a good start.  It seemed like the idea was to have the community launch in sort of a beta stage and just encourage people to participate there and try it out, and improvements would continue to be made.  But the background support never seemed to be there.  But regardless, it became the main link from the main page over a year ago.

Some experienced users made it over there, but it was so buggy, a lot of the time people couldn't even log in, and when they could, there wasn't much activity to participate in anyway.

It seemed like a decent micro illustration in the flawed nature of central planning.  It's bad enough when the platform isn't ready, but when maintenence and support is largely neglected on top of that, it's pretty much doomed from the start.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,800
cporter replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 7:42 PM

Kakugo:

I tried to like the new community. Really tried. I even made a few posts. What really drove me against the wall was the absolutely insane quantity of spam, not only on the boards themselves, but also in my email folder (since it came through the Mises Community it was easy to track down the source).

If everything's back normal it means the Istitute will get the end of the year donation I held off because of that complete trainwreck...

According to David it's temporary while they do some traffic measurements to the site.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 11:09 PM

I hope it's "temporary" like the New Community's lack of a usable interface was/is. Trainwreck pretty well describes it.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sat, Jan 14 2012 3:03 AM

For the love of Mises just do something so that the quote feature works.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 132
Points 1,890

"For the love of Mises just do something so that the quote feature works."

Yeah. The most important website on the internet and the forums pretty much suck. What is so hard about using standard software? Something like the 2+2 forums, Ron Paul Forums, etc. What is it, vBulletin? Why not just use that???

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Sat, Jan 14 2012 3:00 PM

cporter:
Kakugo:

According to David it's temporary while they do some traffic measurements to the site.

I hope in true real-world fashion temporay becomes permanent... there's no way I am going to use that thing ever again and, judging from responses, I am not alone.

The most annoying thing is how in the world could so much spam get through... I am moderator on other forums and, yes, we get a little but I have never seen something like that in my whole life.

I understand the free market is all about giving people opportunities but excuse if I say a place where voluntarism is dissected is hardly the best place to advertise cheap jewelry in broken English.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Wesker1982:
"For the love of Mises just do something so that the quote feature works."

Yeah.

Yes it doesn't work with the push of a single button, but as you can see, you can still use it.  See here.

What is so hard about using standard software? Something like the 2+2 forums, Ron Paul Forums, etc. What is it, vBulletin? Why not just use that???

This was discussed at the links I posted above.  In particular, here.  But follow those links and you'll see how the discussion and the other forum evolved.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

+1 the notion that the "new" forum sucks. The Mises Power Elite should take note of this discussion.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 132
Points 1,890

Yeah I know. I just wanted to complain about it more. 

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 12:29 AM

It was especially confusing to people who spent a lot of time on Internet forums because it didn't follow the standard.

This is exactly it. The only things they got sort of right is that there's tabs at the top and you log in on the top-right of the page. (but not top enough, IMO)

There's a very bad user experience. A user shouldn't have to think about what they're doing to make a site work or to understand what's going on. Optimally, 0 thinking.

I go here: http://community.mises.org/ and see some listing of "something". I'm guessing activity. Ok. Now why are these things formatted differently? That's not intuitive to me, and it's something new/different. Another system to get used to. <sarcasm>Yay!</sarcasm>

Now I'm made to read what these things are. They're posts, thread replies, and new members signing up. Ok, that kind of makes sense. Now I've spent a few seconds trying to figure this out. I just want a forum listing. *hover over forum tab*

Now I'm made to think again. All I can do is create a new post? Ohhhh... I can click the actual tab, and it takes me to the forum! *wait to load up page*

Now I see a bunch of threads. Where are the subforums and sections that I'm so used to seeing on every other forum on the internet?

*Scan page a few more seconds* Now I realize there is no such thing. Oh well. What's this groups thing? I don't know what it is. *click group discussions* ...I can't look at "group discussions" whatever that is... (chat logs or threads?? I don't know). *click Groups* ...Ok, this is a listing of groups. Now, do I have to be invited to them, or do I join them?

I could go on, but this isn't a non-thinking, typical, easy experience. :(

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 8:43 AM

This forum software has its (apparently unfixable) problems too, but at least it's pleasing on the eye.

The new community was like a bad acid trip, seriously...

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,800
cporter replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 11:05 AM

Well, for what it's worth I posted in the dev group that I would help with the issue but it appears my post never made it out of moderation.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

cporter:
Well, for what it's worth I posted in the dev group that I would help with the issue but it appears my post never made it out of moderation.

Send a message to David Veksler or Israel Curtis

:EDIT:

Nevermind.  Contribute to this thread:

Which Forum Platform?

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 70
LirvA replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:45 AM

I created an account here several months ago but didn't start posting. I go to log in tonight to check out the forums and my password remember function wasn't working, so I try to manually type the password, still no luck. I try to reset the password, get no email. Finally I hunt around and find the other forum, and I try to log in there and it works. I'm like wtf do they have two forums? I look around a bit on there and it's absolutely terrible, and there's like no posts. So I just created an account here.

As a new member here, imo, it would be terrible to throw this forum away for that forum.

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS