Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ta- Nehisi VS. the civilwar/buyout position.

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 4,300
you12 Posted: Thu, Jan 26 2012 12:34 PM

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/01/compensation/251804/       Part I

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/01/compensation/251886/      PartII

http://www.theatlantic.com/personal/archive/2012/01/compensation/252023/    PartIII

The first is an hagiography of Abe. In second he cites various examples of violent rebellions against the institution.

"

If you are faced with a system which was--at its core--rooted in horrific torture. murder, and human trafficking, and then told that it was all made to go away via faerie dust, you should be skeptical. If someone then generalizes and says that this system was ended everywhere by such means, you should be double so. Ron Paul's rendition of history depends on a lack of that skepticism among his audience, and a faithful belief that they know nothing of Nanny, Toussaint, or Zumbi and have no sincere interest in finding out. Ron Paul is banking on your incuriosity.

"

In third he disputes the buyout scenario becuase he believes that southners would not have given up the most important economic resource at that time. Many would just not sell as the prices due to buyout will keep going up.  Although he ignores eminent domain.

What do you think? I do agree with his one point, many people who say that buying out slaves would have avoided war ignore that slavery itself was war. Although as to the rest of his argument I am still not convinced.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Regardles of whatever else the author wrote, I like this statement: "But I refuse to lose sight of the fact that slavery was, itself, war." However, I wonder what the author thinks of the taxation imposed on blacks today.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 186
Points 4,290
TANSTAAFL replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:27 AM

slavery is war?

I thought war was two sides taking to arms to settle disputes and slavery was ownership of another human?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 4,300
you12 replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:08 AM

Torture,murder,beatings killing keeping them in imhumane unberable conditions. Denying the very existance of the humanity of an entire race is war on them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

TANSTAAFL:

slavery is war?

I thought war was two sides taking to arms to settle disputes and slavery was ownership of another human?

Were the Nazis ever at war against Jews?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 5:32 PM

Email Thomas J. DiLorenzo, you12. He may be interested in writing a rebuttal. In the meantime, browse the King Lincoln Archive on LewRockwell.com, especially DiLorenzo’s entries.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS