Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

New debate partner, need easy links :)

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:55 PM

My old debate partner decided he didn't want to debate after college acceptances were over, so he quit.

I now have a new partner (and he leans conservative). He's a cool guy and I think he could learn a lot.

Should I go with the standard EiOL for him?

I can't make him read a behemoth, so the reads have to be short and understandable. I can probably get away with something of around 100 pages, but not more. Also, it would take him a while to read it, so that's a negative.

Also, it would be great if there are some articles out there that make the case for libertarianism nicely.

The debate topic is government space exploration.

I have sort of given up on the idea of arguing AnCap, because it is so much volumetrically larger. Instead, my plan is to give tax breaks to space exploration companies. Furthermore, to "offset" the tax cuts, cut corporate subsidies. To take our attention off of poverty and toward luxury things like space exploration, open up public land in the US to homesteading.

Again, I'd like a bunch of articles (and short books) that essentially explain how the market allocative process is the most efficient and how any government action is a distortion of market forces and is negative.

I read some of the evidence cards opponents use, and some of them have stuff like "spending good" by Krugman and Mankiw and others defend Keynesian economics. It would be nice if there are some concise refutations of those as well.

I'm already planning to strategically run a Tag Kritik, which is essentially saying that we should actually understand evidence we cite and not cite it blindly. This way, I can say that them citing economists is pointless unless they can understand and defend the views of the economists. This Kritik prevents situations where the two teams have pieces of evidence that say the exact same thing and then having the team which is more politically correct win.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

What Won’t Nasa Invent Next?

A World Without NASA

Comments on the Shuttle Program

The Space Shuttle is dead. Good riddance!

Neil deGrasse Tyson Admits the Space Shuttle Was Never About Science

Don't forget about the Beginners' video lists

Also, while I agree you might not want to jump right into it, don't give up on sharing anarchism.  Check out this essay and all the links listed there...

The Nature of Man and His Government

You might want to start with something like Why Government Doesn't Work, and move on up.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS