Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Al Gore and "unsustainable" capitalism -

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Thu, Feb 16 2012 5:29 PM

The good part is later in the post, so read on!

This headline caught my attention: 

Al Gore takes aim at "unsustainable" capitalism

I figured "what the heck, I'll bite"

Reading it, I found the fairly standard quote from Gore:

"While we believe that capitalism is fundamentally superior to any other system for organizing economic activity, it is also clear that some of the ways in which it is now practiced do not incorporate sufficient regard for its impact on people, society and the planet," Gore said.

Now, I know what he means, so I don't agree with him. However, in the void it could be agrued that we'd have no qualms with this statement. He says that capitalism with "some of the ways in which it is now practiced" is bad. We generally agree here, as we do not believe that we currently have capitalism.

The article talks later about some proposed "changes to capitalism" we need to make for sustainable growth.

At this point, my attention wandered away to my food and I was about to close the article. But then something caught my eye: Goldman Sachs. I almost spit out my food at the screen:

The former CEO of Goldman Sachs Asset Management put forward five key actions which he hoped would revive the discussion on how to clean up capitalism and put companies, investors and stakeholders on the path towards long-term, sustainable profit.

Gore is taking advice from Goldman Sachs to clean up capitalism? Red flags should be soaring by now!

• | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 140

I own a china shop, so who better to hire as a janitor than a bull?

http://libertythinkers.com/author/shawn-kelly/
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 7:25 PM

Really now. That's just too easy.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

lol! Has Gore ever heard of tragedy of the commons? Gov. regulation makes the environment WORSE. We've had the EPA for 40+ years and the environment has only been worse since then.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

It's things like the Trading on Thin Air film I talked about that are a promising example that even leftists aren't buying into this nonsense much anymore.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 3:00 AM

Very funny, what a better way to start the day than with a heartfelt laughter? smiley

And didn't Enron have their own ideas about how to "clean up capitalism", ideas Gore bit into (cap and trade carbon quotas)?

Sometimes I don't know whatever this man is just an ordinary conman or an unitentional comedian.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Read about the Gore-Hammer connection.  That tells you everything you need to know about the Gore family.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS