Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Human Action: Econ treaties or Austrian Sociology Treaties

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
1,389 Posts
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection posted on Tue, Mar 6 2012 3:02 PM

Autolykos and I briefly brought this up in another thread by Wheylous:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/28392.aspx

- and I forgot Ludwig Lachmann mentioned it here at the 42:00 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdymByxT1Gg

That the book Human Action is not an Austrian Economics book, but the book of a comprehensive look at the Austrian view of the social sciences.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,051 Posts
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 5:43 PM

When I explain AE to people I explain it as sociology, not through an economic lense, but through an individual lense and their relation and interaction with society.  I can purvey the message I need to, but in a more fashionable language.  I feel that when I explain economics, people view it as a mundane science that has no real affect on their surroundings and life, and preconcieved notions of the stance that AE has may create some bias.  If I start off with subjectivity and individualism and interweave them, then it may already be appealing to the other person.  I don't believe anyone would try to refute that humans act, and if I make the individual and subjectivity my starting points and then expand into that individual's relation, cooperation, and growth in society, well, I may already have them "hooked" so to speak, and the foundation is already laid.  From there I can branch out.  Also, sociology seems more fashionable than economics, start utilizing that language and those arguments with said axioms/starting points, and more people may be attraced to AE.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,389 Posts
Points 21,840

I certainly have more of a sociology hat than an econ hat - being that I have probably at least a 101 grip on all the basic social sciences.  What I wonder is, if sociology could be looked at as the "starting point" for the social sciences (when looked at in a responsible manner); and that econ is derived from sociology - or should it be the other way around?

Either way, I think there should be a geneology of sorts for the SS in order for them to make sense - and it is important to say why it exists that way - and that it would be impossible for one to work in one field without ones head being in another. 

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS