Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is Say's Law an Austrian School tenet?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 490
mnrchst posted on Wed, Sep 12 2012 3:53 PM

I'm a big wikipedia editor, and we've been doing a lot of work of the Austrian School definition lately.

Is Say's Law generally considered a tenet of Austrian economics? If so, what are your sources.

I've read conflicting information on this question in the past.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,113 Posts
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 5:11 PM

Say's law is a basic tenet of economics in general, regarded as 'basically correct' by practically every school of thought. Very few, if any, would doubt that it is true in the long-run.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Except Keynes.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Did Keynes dislike it in the long run?

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

I'm not so sure that Keynes cared too much about the long run...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Say lived before Austrian Economics, as a distinct school of thought, existed.

But all the Austrians accepted it.

Mises: http://mises.org/daily/1803

Rothbard: http://mises.org/daily/5985/Says-Law-of-Markets

Esuric:

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 490
mnrchst replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 11:22 PM

Does anyone have a reliable source that says Say's Law is a tenet of Austrian economics? Because that's what I'm lookin for!

Thanks.

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Pretty sure SmilingDave gave you two of them...two of the three most well known Austrian economists.

Or you could just read a significant amount of the literature on the subject and form your own fu..reaking opinion.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 11:27 PM

You could at least try.

Typing "Rothbard on say's law" into Google gives this:

http://mises.org/journals/qjae/pdf/qjae12_2_4.pdf

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 490
mnrchst replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 11:29 PM

Just because it's something Mises, Hayek, and Rothbard agree on does not make it an Austrian School tenet.

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Just because it's something Mises, Hayek, and Rothbard agree on does not make it an Austrian School tenet.

Please drink some bleach, kid.  Please, assure me that the world isn't filled with people so god damn dumb so as to say something like that.

We are talking about "intellectual history" there isn't anything other than authorities than can be appealed to.  There is no Rosetta Stone of Austrian "tenets" (as you keep referring to it/them...)

It's like asking, "What is "the good" according to Aristotle? But please direct me somewhere other than Aristotle.  Just because he defines it and recognizes it and builds his philosophy around it doesn't mean that it "is" what I want it to be."

You should be able to make a connection between the emphasized words there and what you are asking...if not, then fill the bath and grab the toaster.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 490
mnrchst replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 11:36 PM

Wow.

I'm trying to get a reliable source for wikipedia for definitions of the Austrian School's tenets. So, I'm sorry, but "Hey, man, the three most famous guys who are generally considered Austrian economists agree on this, so that's enough, because I just wrote it on a forum, so there" isn't good enough for what I'm trying to do (which I explained on the outset). I need a *reliable source* (by Wikipedia's standards) that it's an Austrian School tenet.

So who's the idiot now? Jesus.

Top 75 Contributor
1,288 Posts
Points 22,350

Are you kidding me?  What do you want? A reference from a book about the Austrian School saying that it's a tenet? How is that more accurate than Austrian economists themselves saying that Say's Law is accurate?

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

There is nothing in your OP.

You can't cite three PhD's?  That's not enough?  What hypothetical example would satisfy this?

So who's the idiot now? Jesus.

Ballsy move calling Jesus an idiot....

Are you kidding me?  What do you want? A reference from a book about the Austrian School saying that it's a tenet? How is that more accurate than Austrian economists themselves saying that Say's Law is accurate?

This.  A thousand times.  This.  Res ipsa loquitur...............................................................................................

"Did Hitler hate Jews?  No, no no.  His diary and constant reference to them and their causing of problems isn't enough."

"Plato describes proper education in Book 6 of the Republic.  Where can I get a defintion of Plato's proper education that I can cite?"

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 490
mnrchst replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 11:45 PM

"I'm a big wikipedia editor, and we've been doing a lot of work of the Austrian School definition lately."

..."what are your sources."

I could've been more explicit, but either way, unless *you* explain what your standard is for how we discern what the tenets of the Austrian School are, just asserting "Mises, Hayek, and Rothbard" doesn't cut it.

Is that a bad standard? I don't know. Maybe it's the best one. But someone else could just as easily assert no. Maybe it's 2/3. Maybe you also need Kirzner. Maybe you need the top 15.

"You can't cite three PhD's?  That's not enough?" Correct. That's not how the site works.

THIS is the type of thing I'm talking about http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/AustrianSchoolofEconomics.html

I don't see Say's Law there (maybe it's implied, I'm not sure)

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS