Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

In remebring the Ides of March

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection Posted: Thu, Mar 15 2012 3:35 PM

In remembering the Ides of March,Here's the Wikipedia article on Lepidus*, the Zeppo Marx of Roman History:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Aemilius_Lepidus_(triumvir)

In honor of Zeppo Marx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGkx8iijsPk

This exists, man I love the internet

* Lepidus is more interesting than is lead on, I realize - which shows how uninteresting most people are when they "do" history, but never the less this is the legacy he has now.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Also on "missing the mark" when we think of the history of this event is the absence of caring about Sextus Pompey and Decius Brutus among others.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Also I don't think Ceaser, Pomepy, Crassus, Antony, or Lepidus were particualrly different styles of the "elites" that Rome was used to seeing spring up by that time.  Octavius however may have been one of a kind.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:31 AM

When it comes to Rome I simply watch the HBO series Rome and call it a day.  Most of my "ancient history" research is bit further north.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS