Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

If Vaccines Didn't Eradicate Smallpox or Polio, What Did?

Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 56 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
2,028 Posts
Points 51,580
limitgov posted on Thu, May 27 2010 3:49 PM

I've heard doctors say that vaccines did not eradicate smallpox or polio, and in fact the outbreaks did not decrease after the vaccine was introduced.....what did eradicate those diseases then?

If you could post any sources that would be appreciated.

Thank you

• | Post Points: 105

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 50
Verified by limitgov

Unfortunatly there is mass ignorance on the subject of vaccinations. Your doctor and the drug companies would like you to believe that vaccinations have indead erradicated serious threats to human health. But that is very wrong.

I do not believe that your average doctor or  nurse is intentionally trying to harm you or your child when they suggest vaccinations.
They, sadly, are just as ignorant as the mass public, and choose to believe the drug companies claimes that vaccinations are the answer.

Reference the charts below.... In most (if not all cases) these miracle vaccinations that "erradicated" these terrible diseases were only introduced AFTER a major fall in the death rate due to the disease.

Polio deaths were almost nonexistant BEFORE the vaccine was introduced- and there was a minor rise in deaths after the introduction. Several years after the definintion of polio was changed and all deaths were blaimed on other diseases...

The doctors , assuming the vaccination was flawless, saw patients who appeared to have polio and had been vaccinated and thought it couldnt have possibly been polio ! And therefor the  diagnosis was not polio

This web site contains some very interesting information about polio

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/polio1.html

"Polio has not been eradicated by vaccination, it is lurking behind a redefinition and new diagnostic names like viral or aseptic meningitis.......According to one of the 1997 issues of the MMWR, there are some 30,000 to 50,000 cases of viral meningitis per year in the United States alone.  That's where all those 30,000 - 50,000 cases of polio disappeared after the introduction of mass vaccination"---Viera Scheibner

Polio has not been erradicated but meerly redifined.  Since the introduction of the vaccine and the supposed "erradication" of this disease new cases of polio are now labeled as other dieseases i am sure you have heard of

Viral or aseptic meningitis, Guillaine Barre Syndrome (GBS), Chinese Paralytic syndrome, CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, epidemic cholera, cholera morbus, spinal meningitis, spinal apoplexy, inhibitory palsy, intermittent fever, famine fever, worm fever, bilious remittent fever, ergotism, ME, post-polio syndrome, acute flaccid paralysis  Synonyms for GBS]

There has also been similarity drawn to pellagra, beriberi, and other deficiency diseases.

I encourage you to research polio and some of these other diseases to see the similarities for yourself

Nutritional deficiencies!  If you do some of your own research on food around the turn of the last century you will find that for the first time in history of mankind the mass public has turned entirely to store bought processed foods  instead of growing raising and making all of their own food.

Outbreaks of Beri beri ( the deficiency disease listed above) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriberi, and mental insanity were reported after wheat processors and distrubuters began to take the wheat germ out of their flour to produce a longer lasting product. The wheat germ  contains vital nutrients ( specifically thiamine b1)but also causes the flour to spoil quicker. This also applies to many other grains and foods. As it seems the vitamin rich parts of the food cause spoilage they are removed so that food suppliers can store the items for long peroids of time.

Food companies began to ENRICH ( ever look at your box of morning cereal, it has most likely been enriched) their products with synthetic vitamins to make up for the vitamins lost during processing.

This seems to have cleared up most of the major ( and OBVIOUS) health problems caused by food processing. However i strongly believe that this food enriched with synthetic vitamins still pales in comparison to real whole food

So now , because vaccinations have been touted as the cure for these diseases people get more and more vaccinations instead of strengthening their bodies with good nutrition.

Another note on polio vaccinations.

Between 1955 and  1963 at least 30 million doses of polio vaccination were contaminated with SV40 a monkey virus that has been linked to several times of cancer including brain and mesothelioma

THis is fact check out the information on the CDC  website

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/updates/archive/polio_and_cancer.htm#5

There have been many reports of other vaccinations being contaminated

for example recently ( THIS YEAR) there has been pig Virus DNA Found in Rotarix vaccination given to children

http://www.nvic.org/NVIC-Vaccine-News/April-2010/Vaccine-Contamination-Pig-Virus-DNA-Found-in-Rota.aspx

If you follow your doctors direction in regards to your childs health they will suggest up to 50 doses of vaccination by the age of 5.

If you do your own research you will find that ,like these early vaccinations, there is very little proof that ANY vaccination works,  along with lots of proof that vaccines cause many health problems.

The risks outweigh any perceived benefit-- especially when we are dealing with young, developing children

Nutrition is the answer

not vaccination

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
458 Posts
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Thu, May 27 2010 4:10 PM

I don't have sources, but there was an article recently on lewrockwell.com about this.  Do a search there and see.

I think the explanation given was a reduction of some metal in the food, or something like that.

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - Mencken

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,028 Posts
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, May 28 2010 11:36 AM

I would love to just get the solid sources for this info...and take away this stupid argument that pro vaccine people throw around ignorantly.

I don't want anyone saying....vaccines are a huge step in medical evolution....we got rid of two of the most deadly diseases with them...smallpox and polio....

I want the general response to that to be, you're completely wrong...those vaccines did not get rid of those diseases.  This is now general knowledge.

Get over it....

Top 500 Contributor
349 Posts
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Fri, May 28 2010 11:48 AM

Why would you call those that believe in vaccines ignorant if you don't even know what else eradicated Polio?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
299 Posts
Points 4,430
Bank Run replied on Fri, May 28 2010 11:54 AM

I'm very happy I don't have polio! I sure am glad I'm not the only polio-john-or-jane, in the U.S.. Whether it's the nutrition or the power to believe in shots, I'm glad I don't see it often. Rare diseases are quite shocking! Boy some genetic diseases disfigure for explitive sake. I think it's perhaps a wonder of the market that these ugly sicknesses are lessened. Shame! The market be free of more nasties ridded by wonderful inovation. I am amazed inovation persists dispite heavy-bad interventionism. Like; the Tetris inventor, (or public works engineers?) a slave that worked hard and made a nice thing. I don't dig shots, but I'd rather not have me, or my loved ones get the nasties. If the despot sicken us all, he hath no kingdom!

Individualism Rocks

Top 50 Contributor
2,028 Posts
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, May 28 2010 12:08 PM

"Why would you call those that believe in vaccines ignorant if you don't even know what else eradicated Polio?"

lol...

that is a very good question.

I should have said, if the evidence comes out that polio and smallpox were eradicted, not because of vaccines, but from different reasons, then I hope everyone quickly learns this truth.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, May 28 2010 1:11 PM

Nutrition. Not eating rotten meat does wonders for the immune system.

Banned
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,511 Posts
Points 31,955

It was vaccines, [GRATUITOUS BARB DELETED]

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, May 28 2010 1:19 PM

laminustacitus:
It was vaccines, anyone who doubts that vaccines both eradicated smallpox and polio and who doubts that vaccines are not one of the greatest advances in medical history is a crank who does not deserve your attention.
In theory, you are right. If there were some space disease that was highly contagious and fatal, which we developed a vaccine for, vaccines would be the bee's knees.

But in practice, the vaccines had no effect on a lot of the decline rates of diseases. I won't write you an extended treatise, and i'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but the majority of vaccines seem to fit ino this trend.

Banned
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
2,028 Posts
Points 51,580

"But in practice, the vaccines had no effect on a lot of the decline rates of diseases. I won't write you an extended treatise, and i'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but the majority of vaccines seem to fit ino this trend."

that's exactly what I'm looking for snowflake....now I just need some sources that explain why those disaeses decreased...

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, May 28 2010 1:31 PM

Well, you know, its difficult to know because we don't have an America where there were vaccines to compare to an America without vaccines. Analytically, there's no reason vaccines can't eradicate a disease. But there's also no reason it can't die out from other causes either, such as improved nutrition.

So its basically inconclusive. I think the evidence for certain viruses at certain times in history makes a convincing case for vaccines, but they are the exception to the rule. After doing the research I have to conclude that vaccines are one of many ways to eliminate disease in a country.

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
2,028 Posts
Points 51,580

"So its basically inconclusive. I think the evidence for certain viruses at certain times in history makes a convincing case for vaccines, but they are the exception to the rule. After doing the research I have to conclude that vaccines are one of many ways to eliminate disease in a country."

But if you take it to the extreme, as western medicine has done and give a baby 7 vaccines at 2 months and another 5 at 4 months and another at etc etc etc....

you bombard their immune system and leave them even more susceptiple to the diseases you're vaccinating against and do additional damage to their tiny little nervous systems.  Not to mention the damage the mercury, aluminum, anti-freeze and other adjunct materials does to these tiny infants.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,289 Posts
Points 18,820
Answered (Not Verified) MaikU replied on Fri, May 28 2010 4:08 PM
Suggested by Capital Pumper

OP, read here first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, May 28 2010 4:40 PM

limitgov:
But if you take it to the extreme, as western medicine has done and give a baby 7 vaccines at 2 months and another 5 at 4 months and another at etc etc etc....
I will not be doing this to my children. As I said, there are probably many ways to treat the spread of disease. Vaccines is only one of these ways, and as you point out may have many negative consequences.

I have researched some of these negative consequences, since as their injection of methyl mercury, and remain skeptical about any real harm a vaccine can do a full grown adult. But if I ever have to get another vaccine, i'll look into it, and post the results here :p

Banned
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,289 Posts
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Fri, May 28 2010 5:43 PM

Snowflake wrote the following post at Fri, May 28 2010 9:19 PM:

<the graph>

Scopie's law:

In any discussion involving science or medicine, citing Whale.to as a credible source loses you the argument immediately..and gets you laughed out of the room.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS