Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Voting is to Government, what Praying is to God (video)

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 500
CapitalistDog Posted: Sat, Mar 17 2012 8:02 AM

Here's a short clip I just threw together in an effort to try and reach out some of my Atheist friends, with regards to Anarchism.  Please let me know what you think. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Well done.  I think you've made a good analogy, and the presentation of just swapping out terms is effective.  And the visual is a nice touch.  I'm sure that'll sting just about any athiest or anti-Obama person.

P.S.

For forum tips and how to's, see here.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 28
Points 755

Nice! I think one big reason why young people are so turned away from libertarianism is that free markets are incorrectly linked to Republicans and their subsequent social/religious conservatism. Breaking that link would be extremely helpful.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500

CapitalistDog:

Here's a short clip I just threw together in an effort to try and reach out some of my Atheist friends, with regards to Anarchism.  Please let me know what you think. 

Well, you're assuming there is no God, so you can't say you know. If you insist...I can always ask you to prove it. Need we go that route, though?

Secondly, while your analogy goes the right direction, I would say it's lacking in that a better comparison would have been writing your congressman. People believe that petitions mean something, when in fact they don't. All that exists are representatives that make decisions regardless of what people want. However, government certainly does exist.

That is all.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 500

I can't prove a negative, so that would probably be a futile discussion to have.  If God is defined as an omnipotent being, as it generally is by theists, than I could demonstrate how it involves a logical contradiction, and therefore, cannot possibly exist.  If God is not defined as an omnipotent being, than I'm simply being asked to prove a negative, which I don't think I could do. 

Keep in mind that this video was made as an appeal to atheists, which is why I start off with the assumptiuon that there is no God.  I very much doubt that this video will have any influence on theists, but it's my hope that atheists may see the parallels between those who claim to speak on behalf of Gods and Government.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS