Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Books on stock valuation?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Male
390 Posts
Points 7,705
Prashanth Perumal posted on Wed, Oct 3 2012 1:17 PM

Hi people, I've lately been reading about stock analysis through books I could get hold of. But I'm unable to find any particular book that tells me how to calculate what the value of a business is. Can anybody here recommend books that deal with the matter? More specifically, are there books that describe in detail how value-investors value a business? Also, are mainstream models of valuation reliable?

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

I'm not an expert but I'll give my $0.02 anyway.

I see three different valuations of a company. First, there is the stock price. This seems obvious but it's worth noting because the actual price is the only price in Austrian theory. Second, there is liquidation price. This is the price of the company if it were declared bankrupt and parceled out. This can theoretically be calculated by looking at the company's net asset value. Finally, there is the sale price. This is the most fuzzy number because it includes the "expected" cash-flow of the company, its net asset value, plus whatever other speculative factors might attract or repel investors. I think it's this last number that you're asking about and I think that number is precisely what speculating on stocks is all about. Each buyer/seller/holder of a stock has his own private "number" that he's placing on the stock's sale value.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS