Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Countries ranked by time volunteered

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Mon, Mar 26 2012 10:05 AM

Some organization publishes a list. Check out page 54:

https://www.cafonline.org/pdf/World_Giving_Index_2011_191211.pdf

What are all those other countries besides the US doing at the top? What is the reasoning behind this?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 10:27 AM

I'm not sure what you're asking.  The chart clearly says it is "Countries ranked by the percentage of population volunteering time".  You even kind of named this thread that.

What exactly is it you don't understand?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 10:36 AM

Well, this is the list of top countries:

How come the list is essentially non-wealthy counties and then the US in the middle of them? I would expect that the countries with most volunteering be countries that are wealthier.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 5:19 PM

Depends on perspective, and it might not be the case that a more wealthy country volunteers their time compared to doing charitable work.  Let's say there's a poor country and they work with one another, they can't pay one another, so they volunteer time to help one another out.  It may have to do with economics, may have to do with culture, or both factors.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 11:57 AM

I don't see why they must be correlated.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS