Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Where to find wage data dating back to 1900?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
74 Posts
Points 1,585
Chris posted on Mon, Apr 16 2012 6:06 PM

Recently, curiousity encouraged me to compare normalized commodity prices in order to gain a bit of historical prospective. I stumbled across some USGS data (http://minerals.usgs.gov/ds/2005/140/) and plotted it, normalized to 1985. Neat, eh? Notice the significant drop in prices preceeding the great depression? Seems like some sort of interest rate manipulation by the newly created Federal Reserve may have fueled a bubble... hmm...

Anyhow, prices only tell half of the story. I'd like to dig up some wage data so that I can look at the normalized costs to normalized earnings (minus taxes) ratio. This is just for my own edification, but I'd like to get a feel for how much things have improved since 1900. Any suggestions for a good place to look?

Normalized Cost of Various Commodities

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

What are "normalized prices"?  What makes it "normal"?

Not Ranked
Male
74 Posts
Points 1,585
Chris replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 6:25 PM

Well, I was just looking at relative costs... I normalized commodity prices to their price in 1985.

Normalized Worth = Units per $ / Units per $ in 1985

Assuming that I didn't fudge up my Matlab program, it looks to me like many commodities were significantly more expensive in 1900... which is what you'd expect. Aluminum, for example, requires cheap electricity to produce; significant drops in the price of electricity likely resulted in an associated reduction in the cost of Aluminum (~8x).  Concrete seems to have amazing price stability.

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

In this interview Peter Diamandis mentions specifically how in the 1840s aluminum was more valuable than gold and platinum.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS