Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Some Newbie Questions

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 85
Porphyrogenitus posted on Thu, Apr 12 2012 10:55 AM

Greetings, and sorry if any and all of these have been covered before. Btw I don't ask these to be a dick - I'm asking the below from a sympathetic perspective, I just need sources (particularly good "academic-quality" sources will be very helpful).

1) I've read and am using a lot of the Mises research refuting "public goods theory," but are there any good papers that also tackle so-called "collective action problems"? (I know this is largely tied into "public goods" but I'm looking in particular for stuff that addresses this aspect directly).

2) I've heard from a number of people that there are "lots of studies" that demonstrate "austerity" works (I know, the term "austerity" is inadequate but lets use it as shorthand). About a year ago I even saw a link to a recent EU study (2008, IIRC) with such a finding. But I didn't keep track of the link then. Can someone point me to links of such studies?

3) Related to the above, in a recent online video talk RPM paraphrased Krugman as pointing to WWII as an example of Keynsian stimulus working (something I know he's done) but then replying to critics who found that the multiplier was small that "duh, of course it was small, there was wage and price controls so we wouldn't expect it to be large." Does anyone know a) which study or studies showed the multiplier to be small and b) where Krugman said/wrote something to that effect?

4) In the same video RPM paraphrased Krugman as saying that it was hard to create a model where monetary stimulus worked and fiscal stimulus didn't. Could someone point me to where he said that?

Thanks, and sorry again in advance. I need original sources for something I'm working on and have had little luck myself on these 4 things.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 85

Oh don't worry about #3; right after I posted this I stumbled uncontrollably into the Krugman links in question (http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/war-and-non-remembrance/ and http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/25456948/what_obama_must_do )

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Welcome to the Mises Forum!  Be sure to check the newbie thread for forum tips and how-tos.

Porphyrogenitus:
I've read and am using a lot of the Mises research refuting "public goods theory," but are there any good papers that also tackle so-called "collective action problems"? (I know this is largely tied into "public goods" but I'm looking in particular for stuff that addresses this aspect directly).

I'm actually not sure of any off the top of my head, but definitely check out the links section of the "public goods" article at the Mises Wiki.

I've heard from a number of people that there are "lots of studies" that demonstrate "austerity" works (I know, the term "austerity" is inadequate but lets use it as shorthand). About a year ago I even saw a link to a recent EU study (2008, IIRC) with such a finding. But I didn't keep track of the link then. Can someone point me to links of such studies?

Again you've got some challenging requests.  I'm not sure I've seen any empirical studies focusing on that hypothesis, but you can probably find writeups and mentions of some in LvMI literature.

Navigate to mises.org and run a search for "austerity" and see what you find.

Related to the above, in a recent online video talk RPM paraphrased Krugman as pointing to WWII as an example of Keynsian stimulus working (something I know he's done) but then replying to critics who found that the multiplier was small that "duh, of course it was small, there was wage and price controls so we wouldn't expect it to be large." Does anyone know a) which study or studies showed the multiplier to be small and b) where Krugman said/wrote something to that effect?

!  Really specific requests.  Again I would think the best place to start is that search above.  Murphy has written quite a bit on Krugman so you may find a link or mention to the Krugman work in question.  (You might also run a search on Murphy's blog.)

In the same video RPM paraphrased Krugman as saying that it was hard to create a model where monetary stimulus worked and fiscal stimulus didn't. Could someone point me to where he said that?

Again, see above.  Also, which video is it you're talking about?

Top 500 Contributor
244 Posts
Points 3,770
MMMark replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 6:07 PM

Thurs. 12/04/12 19:07 EDT
.post #142

3) ... in a recent online video talk RPM paraphrased Krugman as pointing to WWII as an example of Keynsian stimulus working (something I know he's done) but then replying to critics who found that the multiplier was small that "duh, of course it was small, there was wage and price controls so we wouldn't expect it to be large."
Have a look at this paper:
http://mises.org/daily/4648

Porphyrogenitus:
4) ... RPM paraphrased Krugman as saying that it was hard to create a model where monetary stimulus worked and fiscal stimulus didn't. Could someone point me to where he said that?
Have a listen, at around 37:20, to the mp3 file available here:

http://mises.org/media/5678/The-Failure-of-Stimulus-Policies

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 85

Thanks tons for the helpful replies. I had checked out the Mises Wiki on "Public Goods" theory - it's what gave me a good start on the retort to that aspect of things.

I hadn't had the good sense to run "Austerity" through the Mises search - which is fail for me (I'm proud of my search-fu - pride goeth before the fail I guess).

The RPM video I was refering to was this "ask me anything" vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyUNdzLwte4

I'll certainly read the "new members thread." Thanks for the welcome; I don't know how much I'll post (I swore off foruming years ago because I become a forum addict; right now it's mostly misesmedia and libertyinourtime videos on you-tube that I'm devouring).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS