Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Numismatic coins as metal investment

rated by 0 users
This post has 0 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 915
Helloween Posted: Sun, Apr 15 2012 11:04 AM

I know very little about historic coins, but I think I would find it interesting if I got involved with it. I wonder what your opinion is about investing in metal with a numismatic premium, as compared to investing in raw pure metal. Here are my arguments for why it could be a good idea:

- I think that the interest in historic coins might increase as the monetary crises evolves, and hence the numismatic premiums would rise in general. Each coin has its political and monetary story.

- Few coins have been produced during the last 100 years, so not many coins exist which will become "ancient" any time soon. The quantity of other types of antiquities is continually increased simply by stuff getting older.

- Antiquities overall should find increasing demand as the middle class increases in size, mostly in Asia, and with it the number of potential collectors.

- Because historic coins are heterogenous, there's the possibility to make good deals. One isn't just a price taker. And by building thematic collections, synergy values can be created. 

- And one has the physical gold and silver, and I assume that coin prices closely follow metal prices, except for the numismatic premium, for which I'm bullish.

- Finally, it'd be more fun to possess unique and beautiful historic coins, than having paper gold or newly produced silver coins!

So, would this idea qualify as a sound investment? And why haven't I heard this idea before, among all talk about metal investments nowadays?

Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS