Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely?

This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 Posted: Tue, Mar 8 2011 5:12 AM

Hello, I'm looking for an article. Usually it is me helping others get resources, but in this case - I have been unable to find it myself, so any help is appreciated. Comments such as "go look at lew rockwell.com archives" will not be. lol

Rightio - an explanation of the article [what I remember]!

It was about Lord Acton's phrase, absolute power corrupts absolutely. It was on Lew Rockwell, or Mises Blog... but it linked to the full article which was over at the Guardian or some British paper.

It was news based on recent research done into the descisions people make or hold themselves too, in reference to power and principle. My memory is vague around this. Generally there were thought to be 3 types or something, (1) those who hold others to higher standards than themselves, (2) those who hold themselves at the same standards as others.. and expect the same. (3) Those who expect higher standards from others, but not themselves..

Or maybe it was more, or I've repeated myself. Anyway, they had 'found' that there was another one, those who hold themselves to higher standards than others, but are more accepting of others short comings as well.

Anyone got any idea what I'm talking about? Article isn't new. It'd be fairly old, within the last few years.

Cheers for any help.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

The only thing I could come up with after extensive searching was this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1239270/The-proof-power-corrupts-MPs-expenses.html

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 7:39 AM

Thanks Daniel.

That's not the exact article, but I think it is close. Will try find it using some new keywords.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 8:06 AM

Conza, do you mind posting the link if/when you find it? 

Thx. Z.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 8:54 AM

It's a big if, but yeah I will.

Hoping someone has it bookmarked, or remembers it specifically...

The other article I always tend to forget about and lose, but find again is this - http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/03/banking-andy-beal-business-wall-street-beal.html - The Banker Who Said No

Consider it as an appetiser I guess.. lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

http://www.economist.com/node/15328544

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 7:45 PM

^ Arghhh, that's also very close. But I don't think it's it.

However, an intriguing characteristic emerged among participants in high-power states who felt they did not deserve their elevated positions. These people showed a similar tendency to that found in low-power individuals—to be harsh on themselves and less harsh on others—but the effect was considerably more dramatic. They felt that others warranted a lenient 6.0 on the morality scale when stealing a bike but assigned a highly immoral 3.9 if they took it themselves. Dr Lammers and Dr Galinsky call this reversal “hypercrisy”.

This is the concept I was trying to explain. That term, hypercrisy is good.. I remember it being mentioned in the article. Will keep looking.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 7:36 AM

Still looking.. surprise

In the spirit of finding long lost articles there is this one;

Neighbours hire their own police force for £3 each a week

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I'm wondering if you got the sites wrong and saw it somewhere else.  Couldn't find anything in those two sites, but did find a number of stories along the lines you're looking for.  They may help jog some memory, or provide more info...

How Power Corrupts

The Psychology of How Power Corrupts

Power Corrupts, Especially When It Lacks Status

Power Corrupts (Now With Science!)

How power corrupts

All power tends to corrupt

When Power Corrupts

How Power Corrupts Leaders

Power Dynamics and Optimism

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS