Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Where does interest rate come from?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
22 Posts
Points 635
Mantas posted on Thu, Jan 15 2009 2:06 PM

Hello,

I have a question to you all! Austrians (Austrian theory of business cycles) emphasize that all the capital must come from savings. And if I put a deposit to the bank so where interest rate comes from? If central banks would not print extra money, so how commercial banks will pay me a interest? Could you explain this?

Thank you in advance!

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Thu, Jan 15 2009 2:31 PM
But not all capital comes from savings. Capital is also created by entrepreneurial activity. That's how interest is payed.

What libertarian economists say is that all credit must be backed by real savings, otherwise problems will arise.
And if I put a deposit to the bank so where interest rate comes from? If central banks would not print extra money, so how commercial banks will pay me a interest?
Your money is supposed to be invested in an activity which creates value. That new value will pay your interest. This is very different from interest being payed by simply counterfeiting more fiat money.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
22 Posts
Points 635
Mantas replied on Thu, Jan 15 2009 3:13 PM

Juan:
But not all capital comes from savings. Capital is also created by entrepreneurial activity. That's how interest is payed.

Could you explain this in more details?

Second question: if I get interest from successful investment in some activity, what role would play commercial banks by Austrian theory?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Thu, Jan 15 2009 3:33 PM
Let's say you lend me some garden tools and I use them to plant a kitchen garden. After some months I give you back the tools (principal) plus some of the food I grew (interest). Easy. The same thing happens if a bunch of people get a loan to start a new factory. Or any other productive investment.
what role would play commercial banks by Austrian theory ?
Banks can act as middlemen between people who own capital and want to lend it and people who want to borrow it...

Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

I would say that banks act as more of a warehouse for the storage of people's money.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
Suggested by laminustacitus

Interest rates reflect the price of time. Individuals who wish to consume more now can do so by borrowing funds from those who wish to consume more later. The less urgently the latter wish to consume in the present (i.e. the lower their time preference is), the lower the discount rate on future goods will be, and hence the lower the interest rate. The interest rate goes down as more savings accumulate, i.e. as the social rate of time preference falls. Banks coordinate the lending-borrowing process.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Not Ranked
Male
22 Posts
Points 635
Mantas replied on Sat, Jan 17 2009 7:10 AM

Laughing Man:

I would say that banks act as more of a warehouse for the storage of people's money.

But still what is the profit to commercial banks? Commercial banks will continue to use fractional reserve banking, don't you think so?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

No? They can just charge a fee for storage that covers their costs. What you mean I think is loans, which come out of time deposits, where the depositor is not allowed to withdraw their funds for a specified period of time. The bank can loan out this money (provided it secures the consent of the depositor), paying the depositor an interest rate for providing them with the money and charging a higher interest rate for the money they loan out, with the difference being their earnings.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
87 Posts
Points 2,025

I think the big misconception here is that banks give you interest just to hold your money in a warehouse. There would be absolutely no reason for a bank to provide you interest on money that is idly sitting in the vaults.

A major source of profit for banks is collecting interest from lending out loans. The reason why you get any of the money from their lending is because they are using your money, with or without your consent. When you draw money from your account you are not taking back what you put in, but rather taking from a collective pool of the banks capital.

While Austrians would prefer full reserve banking, all they really want is for banks to make the risks inherent in fractional reserve banking clear to the account holders.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Juan:
But not all capital comes from savings. Capital is also created by entrepreneurial activity.

I'm just nitpicking here as opposed to challenging you, but wouldn't it be more correct to say that capital is the result of entrepreneurial activity and deferred consumption?

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Mantas:
But still what is the profit to commercial banks? Commercial banks will continue to use fractional reserve banking, don't you think so?

That's sort of the whole point as to why fractional reserve banking isn't a legitimate business. It confuses a loan contract with a irregular deposity contract. Which are two different and not compatible contracts (for example, one has a specified length and deferred consumption is necessary, this isn't the case with the other).

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Sat, Jan 17 2009 9:15 PM
GS:
I'm just nitpicking here as opposed to challenging you, but wouldn't it be more correct to say that capital is the result of entrepreneurial activity and deferred consumption?
I guess so. In order to save wealth it must be firstly earned/produced...

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

Mantas:

They make profit by holding onto the people's good for a fee. Fractional reserve could continue but there would be Anti-banking leagues which educate the populace on the problems of such a tactic. (It is essentially illegal to do that now)

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

Adding to Jon Irenicus 's post above...

This is where the concept of interest comes from. The money to pay the interest ultimately comes from labor, aka wealth creation.

All things comes from land and labor. The simple act of picking up an apple off the ground and selling it to our friend is production and entrepreneurial.

- Suppose that the apple you picked up (produced) trades for 25 cents to your buddy.

- Then you pick up another apple and cleaned it with a nice shine. This trades with another friend for 35 cents.

- Then you pick up another apple, cleaned it, cored it, and served it in 6 slices. That trades for 50 cents.

- Then you perform the 50 cent apple with entertainment with the eating of that apple. This gets you $2.50

So, from 25 cents up to $2.50 - all simply coming from labor. Either directly on the product, or investing it into a capital good (like a knife to cut apples). This exrta labor, this wealth creation is how interest is paid, even though the money supply is static.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS