Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Business Cycle Theories

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 24
Points 510
earlgrey Posted: Thu, Sep 27 2007 1:12 AM

I have an essay idea, but in its present form it requires 3 depression or business cycle theories. I have Austrian (of course) and Keynesian (another duh), but I can't come up with another that would be meaningfully different from Keynesian. I thought of Marxian, but my essay applies them to the real world, and I don't think Marxian theory has enough substance to do so (correct me if I'm wrong).

Any ideas? 

"Why don't you go stand under a stalactite, and bellow the resonate room frequency and wait for it to impale your brain!" -The Brain

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator

The New Classicist "Real Business Cycle" is always a good candidate, especially given the attention it has been receiving lately.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 53
Points 880
Webster replied on Thu, Sep 27 2007 9:36 AM

I saw one very interesting one in a book entitled something along the lines of Problems in Contemporary Economics from 1920 that expounded on the animal spirits approach.  Essentially, when the economy is booming the price of expansion for businesses is high and the benefits of expansion are low (assuming that the economy will go into a recession in the near future).  On the other hand when the economy is in a recession the price of expansion is low and the benefits are high.  Consequently, once businesses expect a recession they will cut expansion, creating a trickle-through effect that reduces demand in all markets, causing a recession.  Once in the recession, businesses will begin expansion as soon as they expect an expansion of the economy, and that will trickle through and increase AD, bringing the economy back.  He also made an argument over interest rates, but I forgot precisely the way it worked.  I do not know enough about the Austrian theory to tell how different they are, but if you are interested I could try to get the title of the book.

Numberless as the wings of trees are the years of men.
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,083
Points 17,700
Niccolò replied on Thu, Sep 27 2007 11:50 PM

Most modern business cycle theories aren't so much theories about the business cycle as they are theories about what causes the market to go into recession (like political business cycle, cycles caused by a drop in demand, cycles caused by etc.)

They really aren't totally incompatible with ABCT which is why I'm surprised more Austrians don't attempt to find more in common with other perspectives. 

The Origins of Capitalism

And for more periodic bloggings by moi,

Leftlibertarian.org

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS