Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Was laissez-faire popular in 1932?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
814 Posts
Points 16,290
No2statism posted on Sun, Jun 24 2012 5:34 PM

Was Hoover defeated in 1932 because voters were fed up with his interventions?

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
659 Posts
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Mon, Jun 25 2012 1:39 AM

The bad economy hurt Hoover, but, in my view, his treatment of World War I veterans strongly hurt his reelection chances. The Library of Congress says, ‘The Bonus Army, some 15,000 to 20,000 World War I veterans from across the country, marched on the Capitol in June 1932 to request early payment of cash bonuses due to them in 1945. The Great Depression had destroyed the economy, leaving many veterans jobless. Veteran Army Signal Corps photographer Theodor Horydczak, of Washington, D.C., photographed their camp site on the Mall. Six futile weeks of lobbying Congress raised government fears of riots, and on July 28, cavalry, infantry, tank troops and a mounted machine gun squadron commanded by General Douglas MacArthur and Major Dwight Eisenhower dispersed veterans and their families with bayonets and tear gas. Public opinion denounced President Herbert Hoover for the resulting bloodshed and helped force him from office.’

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 30

I barely remember what laissez-faire means. But, it was part of the history. The agreement after war.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS